Latest News

Trump says that he has paused his attack on Iran while negotiations continue

Donald Trump, the U.S. president, said on Monday that he had paused a 'planned attack against Iran' to allow negotiations to take place?on a pact to end the U.S. -Israeli conflict after Iran sent a rewritten peace proposal to Washington. Trump stated that he has instructed the U.S. Military that "we WILL NOT be attacking Iran tomorrow. However, we have also instructed them to be ready to launch a full-scale assault on Iran at a moments notice in the event of an unacceptable Deal not being reached."

Trump has expressed his hope for an agreement that would end the war and reopen the Strait of Hormuz, but it never materialized.

He said in his post that the leaders of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, as well as the United Arab Emirates, had asked him to delay the attack, because "a deal will be reached, which will be acceptable to all countries of the Middle East and beyond, including the United States of America."

Trump's tweet came after Esmaeil Baghaei, the spokesperson for Iran's Foreign Ministry, confirmed that Tehran's views were "conveyed" to the American side via Pakistan but did not provide any details. Pakistani sources confirmed that Islamabad has shared the latest proposal between Washington and Islamabad. Islamabad is the country which has "conveyed messages" between warring parties in the Middle East ever since it hosted the first round of peace talks. The source said that progress was difficult.

The Pakistani source added: "We haven't much time."

The proposal is described as being similar to the previous offer

According to a senior Iranian official, the Iranian proposal was similar in many ways to Iran's prior offer that Trump rejected as "garbage" last week.

The first priority would be to end the war and reopen the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran effectively blocked as a major oil supply route.

Sources said that contentious issues relating to Iran's nuclear program and uranium-enrichment will be deferred until later rounds of negotiations.

In an apparent softening in Washington's position, the senior Iranian sources said that 'the United States has agreed to release a quart of Iran's frozen money - totaling tens and tens billions of dollars in foreign banks'. Iran wants to see all assets released. The Iranian source said that Washington has also shown greater flexibility by agreeing to allow Iran to continue peaceful nuclear activities under the supervision of IAEA.

The U.S. did not confirm that it had agreed to anything during the talks.

Iran's Tasnim News Agency quoted a separate unidentified source saying that the U.S. agreed to waive oil sanctions against Iran while negotiations are underway. Iranian officials have not commented on the Tasnim report. A U.S. official who refused to be identified said that it was false. After six weeks of conflict, a fragile 'ceasefire' has been reached following U.S. and Israeli airstrikes against Iran. However, drones were launched from Iraq towards Gulf countries including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait by Iran and its allied forces. Pakistan's Foreign Ministry released a statement Monday condemning the drone attack that took place on Sunday. Saudi Arabia claimed to have intercepted three drones which entered Iraqi airspace.

(source: Reuters)