Latest News

Rival bidders pursue Lukoil assets despite Carlyle deal, sources say

Four sources say that Lukoil initially agreed to sell its global assets to U.S. Private Equity firm Carlyle last week. However, at least two companies are now vying for the portfolio.

The U.S. Treasury has given Lukoil until February 28th to sell the assets. Last year, it imposed sanctions against Lukoil, Rosneft, and other Russian oil companies to force them to reach a peace agreement with Ukraine. According to two sources, a partnership between Chevron, Texas-based Quantum Energy Partners and a group headed by investment bank Xtellus Partners are still 'in talks' with Lukoil, the U.S. Government and other parties over the assets.

Sources close to Lukoil said that the deal is not yet finalized. Carlyle has just begun to look more closely at Lukoil assets. "The wind could change in this sale."

Lukoil said that it continues?negotiations' with other possible buyers.

Quantum declined comment. Chevron did not immediately respond to an inquiry for comment.

CARLYLE IN PARTNERSHIP TALKS At least a dozen companies, from Exxon Mobil, to Bernd Bergmair, the former owner and founder of Pornhub have expressed interest in the?Lukoil Portfolio, which was initially valued at around $22 billion. U.S. Treasury’s Office for Foreign Assets Control has rejected bids from Geneva-based commodity traders Gunvor and Xtellus. Carlyle has agreed to purchase Lukoil assets, except those in Kazakhstan. This agreement was made on January 29. Sources say that the fund is in discussions to partner with Abu Dhabi funds Mubadala XRG IHC and IHC as well as U.S. Development Finance Corporation 'for the deal.

OFAC must still approve the agreement. According to sources involved in the process, Lukoil will also require the Kremlin's approval and that of the Russian central bank.

Sources with knowledge of the situation have confirmed that Xtellus is a consortium between Todd Boehly, an American billionaire, and Allied Investment Partners in the UAE. The consortium proposed a plan to pay the deal with frozen Lukoil stock owned by U.S. shareholders, instead of cash. According to a sixth person, the consortium has been in contact with U.S. officials and is trying to move forward on this plan. (Reporting and editing by Anna Hirtenstein, Dmitry Zhdannikov, Emelia Sithole Matarise).

(source: Reuters)