Latest News

Anglo American suffers $3.7 billion loss due to De Beers write-down

Anglo American reported a $3.7billion loss on Friday, after another writedown of its diamonds business. The miner is pushing ahead with plans to shed its non-core assets as well as complete its merger with?Teck Resources.

Anglo has wrapped up an uneven reporting season for London listed mining groups. This highlights the divergent fortunes of the industry as Antofagasta benefitted from rising copper prices, while other diversified peers suffered due to weaker markets in iron ore and diamonds.

The company recorded a $2.3bn pre-tax impairment on its De Beers division, reducing carrying value from over $4bn to $2.3bn.

Analysts' estimates of EBITDA or core earnings at $6.4 billion was in line. The company declared a $0.23 dividend per share or approximately $200 million. This was down from $0.64 per share or $800 millions a year ago.

By 0919 GMT, the company's shares were up 1.7%.

Anglo, who in July discontinued its?nickel-and steelmaking coal assets it seeks to sell, wants to focus on iron ore and copper assets.

The company announced that it is moving forward on plans to sell De Beers.

The company announced that it could partner with Mitsubishi Corp to develop its Woodsmith Fertiliser Project in northern England. It had previously placed the project on maintenance and care.

"We ?believe this potential partnership would add optionality and time to pursue further syndication/partnerships," said Goldman Sachs analysts.

DE BEERS - SPIN OFF

Anglo has revised its value of De Beers following the unit's?third consecutive year of production decline. De Beers also lowered its production forecast for 2026 due to the weak demand and high inventory levels that continue to affect the diamond market.

Anglo has already written off De Beers value by $3.5 billion in the last two years. Duncan Wanblad, CEO of Anglo Diamonds told reporters that there was a large supply of rough diamonds on the market.

He said that the sale of De Beers was at an advanced level. He said: "We must... reach final binding bids, then choose the partner we wish to work with and negotiate with all parties involved including the Botswana government."

Wanblad stated that multiple consortia have shown interest in De Beers. Anglo had put it up for sale to facilitate a wider restructuring.

Botswana has announced that it will increase its shareholding. It is already a 15% shareholder, and sources 70% of its annual rough production.

Angola is pursuing a stake of 20-30% in De Beers. This proposal is being discussed with other African producers of diamonds, according to a senior official at the Angola mining ministry.

Wanblad is "optimistic", he said, that a contract will be signed in the upcoming year.

TECK TIE UP

Anglo, the only major miner that has secured a deal despite companies being under pressure to increase their copper portfolios announced in September a merger of $53 billion with Teck, which is a stock-only, no-premium transaction.

Wanblad, who spoke on Friday, said that he expected the deal to be approved between September and March as China and South Korea's regulatory approvals are still pending.

Anglo American and BHP Group, the world's biggest mining company, were both attempting to acquire Anglo.

The combined entity will produce over 1.2 million tons of copper per year.

The demand for copper, a metal used in the construction and power industries, will increase due to electric vehicles and artificial intelligent. Clara Denina is the reporter. Mark Potter, Jan Harvey and Clara Denina edited the report.

(source: Reuters)