Latest News

Havana's trash piles up as US oil chokehold stops garbage trucks

The U.S. effort to prevent oil reaching the Caribbean's largest island has resulted in a swarm of flies and the smell of rotten foodstuffs. This is one of the visible effects of the U.S. attempt. Cubadebate, a state-run news outlet, reported that fuel shortages had caused only 44 out of Havana’s 106 garbage trucks to continue operating. This slowed down the garbage collection. Residents have been sorting through cardboard boxes, used plastic bags, rags, and other waste to find scraps that they can reuse, but motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists must avoid the huge piles. Jose Ramon Cruz said that the garbage was all over the city. It's been over 10 days since the last garbage truck. Residents in other?towns of the island, which is home to 11 million people, took to social media warning about the dangers to public health. Cuba's communist regime has implemented rationing to protect essential services. The country was already experiencing severe shortages of fuel, food and medicine. In just two months, the national oil supply has dropped dramatically.

Venezuela, once Cuba's largest supplier, stopped shipping shipments at the end of December. Mexico also announced that it would stop shipments to Cuba after Washington threatened tariffs on countries who send supplies there. Last week, a Russian newspaper reported that Russia is preparing to ship crude and fuel cargoes to Cuba soon. The report did not give a date. The U.S. embargo against Cuba has been in place since 1960. However, President Donald Trump's administration recently stepped up its efforts to enforce the embargo, by sanctioning oil-shipping vessels and threatening tariffs on suppliers. The 'U.S. The administration claims that the measures will increase political pressure in Cuba. The United Nations has voted repeatedly for the U.S.?to end its embargo. Leaders from Mexico and Venezuela have said that blocking fuel could have serious humanitarian effects.

Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, told reporters Monday that Guterres was "very concerned" by the situation. Teams are working with the Cuban government to support humanitarian relief efforts.

He said, "The secretary-general would love to see all sides pursue dialogue and respect international law once again." (Reporting and writing by Alien Fernandez, Mario Fuentes and David Brunnstrom. Additional reporting and writing by Sarah Morland. Editing and revision by Dave Sherwood and Nick Zieminski.

(source: Reuters)