Latest News
-
After Indonesia earthquake kills 51 and cuts roads, Thousands of people evacuate
Authorities reported on Sunday that 5,000 people had been evacuated after an earthquake of magnitude 7.7 shook a region in eastern 'Indonesia. The quake killed at least 51, blocked roads, and caused landslides. Deputy Health minister Benjamin Paulus Octavianus said in a televised discussion that 36 people had suffered serious injuries in the Saturday morning quake, while 77 others sustained minor injuries. This quake was followed by 341 aftershocks and is Southeast Asia's worst in years. After a devastating earthquake that struck West Java in 2022, hundreds of people died. The disaster management agency BNPB reported that more than 3,300 people?in Sikka self-evacuated, or were stranded at a sports stadium. Some Sikka residents slept outside their collapsed homes in a makeshift tarp tent, while others received medical treatment in tents outside hospitals in Maumere. Simon Subandi told KompasTV that "almost all Sikka residents didn't want to stay inside, so they slept outside on porches or tents." In a press release, Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya stated that more than 3,500 police and military officers had been deployed in the region. Indonesia's search-and-rescue agency reported that rescuers had been able to?access parts of Maumere which were blocked by landslides. BNPB reported that the majority of missing people were buried?under rubble and more than 1,300 houses were damaged. Pertamina, the state-owned energy company, reported that 20?petrol station?were not operational due to power failures. BNPB reported that the East Nusa Tenggara Government is considering declaring a?emergency' for the province. This would allow authorities to?mobilise resources and funds. Geophysics agency of Indonesia said that the area was devastated by an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.5 in 1992. Indonesia is a vast archipelago of about 290 million people that straddles "Pacific Ring of Fire", an earthquake-prone zone where tectonic plate collisions cause frequent volcanic eruptions and earthquakes.
-
El Nino affects Peru's farms and fishing in June, slowing down the country's economic growth.
Data from the INEI statistics agency revealed a slowdown in the economy of Peru, despite the fact that the country's economy grew by 1.75% compared to a year ago. The June data was just below the growth of 1.8% recorded in May. At the time, officials attributed the decline to the El Nino weather system, which warmed Pacific waters and increased rainfall, as well as pushing fish deeper into the ocean. The worst affected were farmers and fishermen, as their respective sectors saw a decline of 8% and 52% in June 2025. Manufacturing also declined by more than 6 percent, and mining fell by more than 2 percent. Peru is the world's third largest copper producer. The activity in some sectors has?almost disappeared compared to levels one year ago. This includes Peru's anchovy and olive farmers, who have been hit by a temporary ban on fishing due to the weather changes caused by cyclical weather phenomena. However, the rest of Peru's economic system, including its construction industry, has grown. The economy grew by 3.05% in the six-month period ending June. El Nino is likely to present challenges, but Peru's Economy minister Elmer Cuba has raised his?growth predictions for 2026 to 3.5%. This is the first time INEI has published GDP data since Keiko Fujimori became president on July 28. Moody's, a ratings agency, has stated that it expects investor confidence to increase after the victory of right-wing leader Keiko Fujimori. Fujimori announced on Friday short-term fuel subsidies for drivers in the cargo and passenger transport sectors in an effort to offset rising costs which have sparked protests across the country.
-
Local authorities confirm that the German wildfire near Belgian Border is under control.
Local authorities announced on Saturday that the wildfire in west Germany, which forced thousands of people to evacuate on Friday, has stabilized. Residents are still prohibited from returning home. The largest wildfire to ever strike North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany's most populous state, is a sign that Europe's heatwave has caused damage throughout the continent. Hendrik Wüst, the German state premier, said that the floods of five years ago killed almost 200 people in Germany. This was an indication of the increasing risks associated with changing weather patterns. "This is not?the first experience we've had with extreme weather conditions. Climate change is also responsible for this. Wuest said to reporters that "no one can deny this any longer". In the future, we'll have to deal more often with extreme weather. Wuest reported that the fire covered over 300 hectares or the equivalent of about 400 football fields. Around 1,500 emergency service personnel were involved. On Friday, more than 2,000 people had to be evacuated from Gey village, located near the Belgian frontier, after a fire came within 300 metres (1,00 ft). "We're satisfied with the way?things progress." Peter Berndgen is the spokesperson for the Dueren district's fire service. "The situation is stabilising." Wuest stated that residents may soon be able return to their home if the situation stabilizes further. In a separate announcement, the Dueren district said that emergency services were also preparing for stronger winds to the north later on Saturday. However, it was unclear whether they would affect the fire. Reporting by Andreas Kranz, Huertgenwald; and Christoph Steitz, Frankfurt. Editing by Mark Potter & Alex Richardson.
-
Ukraine claims to have hit a Russian rocket center linked to Starlink network
Ukraine announced on Saturday that its long-range attacks had 'hit a Russian airfield and a rocket centre, which Kyiv claims supports a nascent Starlink satellite internet network in Russia. Volodymyr Zelenskiy, the president of Ukraine, said that Flamingo missiles had struck the rocket center, located about 900 kilometers (560 miles), from Ukraine's borders, as part Kyiv’s campaign to pressurize Moscow to end its four-year long war by targeting deep within Russia. "It's important to reduce Russia's military potential." In a blog post, he stated that peace is needed in Russia and it must be visible through damage to'specific facilities. He claimed that the airfield was used by aircraft to attack Ukraine. "MASSIVE MISSILE?ATTACK" Ukraine's General Staff reported direct hits at the airfield and Progress rocket and space?centre located in the Samara region. The General Staff said that the strikes had caused fires to start at both sites. General Staff stated that the Samara plant produced rockets to launch satellites to?the Rassvet network, which Russia has developed as an alternative to SpaceX Starlink. Starlink is only available in Ukraine and not Russia. This has given Kyiv an advantage when it comes to drone operations and battlefield communication. Authorities in Nizhny Novgorod have not confirmed the airfield attack. Local officials in Samara said that air defences had stopped a "massive attack". Ivan Noskov said that "Samara’s industrial infrastructure suffered localised damages" in an online posting, without mentioning which site was affected. He said that emergency services were on the scene. Samara's regional Governor said overnight that a missile struck an unidentified facility. He said that emergency services were still dealing the aftermath seven hours later at 1215 local time. The Progress centre has played a major role in both the Soviet and Russian space programs, including the production of the Soyuz rocket family. In February 2022, Russia began its full-scale invasion. Analysts say that while battlefield progress has slowed on much of the front in this year, Russian forces continue to push towards key cities located in Ukraine's eastern Donetsk Region. Both sides have increased long-range attacks against a variety of targets. The Russian defence ministry announced on Saturday that in the last 24 hours, its drones, artillery and missiles had hit Ukrainian logistics centres, fuel, energy and transport infrastructure used by Ukrainian soldiers, as well as assembly workshops for drones with long ranges and drone boats. The ministry reported that a long-range drone facility in Ukraine's Chernihiv Region was one of the targets. Could not independently verify reports. Alessandra Prrentice, London, contributed to the reporting by Yuliia Dysa. Barbara Lewis, Mark Potter and Barbara Lewis edited the story.
-
State news reports: Israeli strikes kill nine people in South Lebanon?
Lebanon's official news agency reported that at least nine people were killed by Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon Saturday. The National News Agency reported that seven people were killed by Israeli warplanes when they struck a home in the village of Ansar in southern Israel. Two others were also killed in an attack on Deir El Zahrani. The attacks allegedly injured 11 people. The attacks are among the most deadly in the weeks following Lebanon's agreement to a peace framework mediated by the U.S. The deal keeps Israeli troops in southern Lebanon, until Hezbollah disarms and the Lebanese Army takes control. This is a term that Hezbollah has deemed as surrender. Naim Qassem, Hezbollah's chief of staff, said that "the framework agreement" is an Israeli order in Israeli ink which the Lebanese authorities signed on Friday. In response to attacks against its soldiers, the Israeli military said that it had struck Hezbollah's infrastructure in what they called a "security zone" in south Lebanon overnight. State news reported that three of the seven people killed in Ansar were children, and two women. Lebanese officials condemn the attacks. The Israeli raid on Ansar did not result in a'military structure', and the women and children who died in the raid were not military targets. Israel says it will maintain its forces in the area to protect Northern Israel from any further?attacks. Israel?Katz, the defence minister of Israel, said that Israel will not withdraw from its controlled areas until Hezbollah has disarmed. An official from the U.S. State Department said that a permanent Israeli military presence in Lebanon was not consistent with the commitments made by the government of Lebanon. In the latest hostilities in Lebanon since March 2, at least 4,300 people were killed. Reporting by Eman Abohassira and Emily Rose. Nazih Osseiran is the author. Kirby Donovan, Mark Potter and Mark Potter edited the book.
-
Japan Defence Minister visits controversial Yasukuni Shrine for war dead
Shinjiro koizumi, the Japanese Defense Minister, visited on Saturday a shrine to Japan's war dead. The shrine is seen by Asian neighbors as a symbol of aggression during wartime. Images from local media showed Koizumi wearing a dark suit with a tie while visiting Yasukuni Shrine. He visited the shrine in the past, including last year as Agriculture Minister. According to NHK, Kimi Onoda visited the country on Saturday. According to the?state broadcaster CCTV, a spokesperson for the foreign ministry said that China strongly condemned the negative actions?by the Japanese regarding the Yasukuni Shrine. It had already lodged a solemn protest and made a formal representation. China and South Korea have claimed that visits by senior Japanese officials distort Tokyo's actions during the war and harm diplomatic relations. Among the 2,5 million war dead memorialized at the shrine in Tokyo are 14 leaders convicted by Allied tribunals of the worst war crimes. They also include over 1,000 'others' found guilty after Japan was defeated in 1945. Japanese officials explained that they made previous visits to honor those who had died in their nation's wars. Kyodo News Agency reported that Prime Minister Takaichi Sanae, who assumed the role in October last year, had sent a ritual gift to the shrine. Since Shinzo Abe visited Yasukuni Shrine in December 2013, the then-U.S. President Barack Obama expressed a sense of "disappointment" at his visit. In 2006, the older Koizumi was the last premier to visit Japan on the anniversary. Reporting by Sam Nusssey and Ziyi Tan in Tokyo; Editing by William Mallard
-
Japan Defence Minister visits controversial Yasukuni Shrine for war dead
Shinjiro Koizumi, the Japanese Defense Minister, visited a shrine on Saturday to honor Japan's war dead. The shrine is seen by Asian neighbors as a symbol of aggression during World War II. Images from local media showed Koizumi wearing a dark suit with a tie while visiting Yasukuni Shrine. He has been there before, including last year as Agriculture Minister. According to NHK, Kimi Onoda visited the country on Saturday. China and South Korea criticised previous visits by senior Japanese officials. They said that they glossed over Tokyo's actions during World War II and damaged diplomatic ties. Among the '2.5 million war-dead commemorated in the shrine at Tokyo are 14 leaders convicted by Allied tribunals of the worst war crimes. Over 1,000 other wartime leaders were also found guilty after Japan was defeated in 1945. Japanese officials have said that they made previous visits to honor those who had died in the nation's wars. Kyodo News Agency reported that Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi who assumed the role last October sent a ritual gift to the shrine. Since Shinzo Abe's visit to Yasukuni Shrine in December 2013, the then-U.S. President Barack Obama expressed disappointment at his visit. In 2006, the older Koizumi was the last premier to visit the country on the anniversary Japan's surrender. (Reporting and editing by William Mallard in Tokyo, Sam Nussey from Tokyo)
-
Two killed after 7.7 magnitude earthquake strikes off Indonesia
Authorities said that at least two people were killed after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake and dozens aftershocks hit eastern Indonesia early Saturday morning. In several parts of Southeast Asia, tsunami waves less than one metre high (3 feet) were recorded. About three hours after the earthquake, the tsunami warning was lifted. The disaster mitigation agency BNPB announced that in addition to at least two deaths, a person was also injured in Sikka Regency. A video posted on Facebook, which was verified as coming from a port near Maumere, shows that parts of a building collapsed as people ran and screamed in the street. This is the largest town on Flores Island, in the east part of Indonesia's vast island archipelago. Residents in several areas reported strong shaking lasting around one minute. It said that "most of the people felt shock and fled their homes." Kompas TV showed footage of a hospital in East Nusa Tenggara Province moving patients to the outside. Kompas.com also reported at least one land slide. The first earthquake was recorded at 4:58 am (2158 GMT), at a depth of?15 km (9 miles), and several aftershocks followed. The Australian tsunami warning centre stated that the undersea quake would "have no tsunami threat to?Australian islands, mainland or territories". Reporting by Dewi Kurniawati in Jakarta, Bernadette Cristina, Fransiska Naangoy, and Steffano sulaiman, Assitional reporting Carlos Mendez, Mrinmay Dey, and William Mallard in Mexico City; Writing by Josh Smith, Editing by Mark Porter and Lisa Shumaker
Investors relax as they consider US-Iran talks of peace; the yen is nearing a 40-year-low
Global shares fell on Friday as U.S. negotiators and Iranian negotiators canceled peace talks. Meanwhile, the possibility of an official Japanese intervention was brewing. The yen traded near a '40-year low.
The dollar is on its way to its biggest weekly gain in over a month. This was mainly due to the weakening of the yen. It has been falling for five of the six last weeks, and now trades at its lowest level since late 1986. Officials in Tokyo have warned that they are considering intervening.
The MSCI All-World Index was down by 0.15% after U.S. vice president JD Vance canceled a trip planned to meet Iranian negotiators on Friday in Switzerland.
European stocks declined 0.12%, paring gains made earlier, while U.S. futures stock fell between 0.1% to 0.2%. The U.S. Stock Market was closed Friday, Juneteenth for the holiday.
According to an official from the United States, oil prices have dropped below $80 per barrel since Israel and Hezbollah reached a ceasefire agreement in Lebanon on Saturday. This came after an escalation of fighting in Lebanon had jeopardized?the chances that an interim deal on ending Iran's war would become a lasting Middle East Peace Deal.
After the U.S. lifted their blockade against Iran on Thursday, tankers have begun sailing through the Strait of Hormuz.
In a client note, RBC Capital Markets analysts said: "We admit that there will be many ships eager to depart the warm waters of the Gulf, and we believe that 'crude' will struggle to gain its footing in the midst of headlines stating 'open for Business'. However, we still question the sustainability of the deal."
"In the event the deal holds,... the Hormuz opening trajectory could be similar to that of the Red Sea where shipping traffic is still over 50% below the pre-crisis level despite the Houthis having signed a deal to end hostilities in May 2025."
DOLLAR STRENGTH
Dollar index reached a 13-month high, fueled by the firm promise of new Federal Reserve Chair Kevin Warsh that he would tackle inflation and maintain price stability. This has led traders to expect at least one interest rate increase this year. A few weeks ago, it was a remote possibility.
Treasuries have been hit hard by the Fed's shift in tone. The two-year yields have risen by nearly 10 basis points since last week, and the benchmark 10-year yields have fallen 3 basis points to 4.451%.
Investors are pricing in near-term interest rate increases, but they also have some confidence in their short-term nature given the recent drop in oil prices.
On Friday, the cash U.S. bond market was also closed.
YEN AT THE BACKFOOT
The dollar is in ascendant and the yen has been on the back foot to trade at around 161.3. This puts the U.S. Dollar at its highest level since July last year, and far beyond the 160 threshold that many see as the trigger for Japanese intervention.
The pound rose 0.1% to $1.321, following a 0.7% decline the day before as the Bank Of England?kept interest rate on hold with a 7-2 vote. Labour mayor Andy Burnham won a parliamentaryelection in the north of England on Friday, removing a key obstacle to a leadership challenge against Prime Minister Keir Starmer.
The Times reported that Starmer will be told by several British cabinet members on Friday to provide a timeline for his departure. (Editing by Shri Navaratnam and Helen Popper)
(source: Reuters)