Latest News

Ebola confirmed in rebel-held Congo far from the outbreak's epicentre

The rebel alliance in the area confirmed a case of Ebola on Thursday. It is located hundreds of kilometres away from the epicenter of the outbreak.

The outbreak, which was undetected in Ituri Province, some 300 kilometres north of Bukavu for two months, has now been detected.

According to the World Health Organization, 139 deaths have been linked to this outbreak. As of Wednesday, 600 suspected cases had been reported in Ituri province and North Kivu. Two cases were also confirmed in the neighboring country of Uganda.

Alliance Fleuve Congo (which includes the Rwandan-backed M23 M23 rebels that seized eastern DRC in the past year) said the 28-year old patient was buried safe after he died.

The individual was said to have travelled from Kisangani in the north, but no information on recent movements were provided.

Earlier on Thursday, South Kivu's health spokesperson?Claude Bahizire said that two suspected cases were detected in the region. This included the fatal case. He said that the other patient was being held in isolation while he awaited test results.

Last week, an Ebola outbreak was confirmed in Goma, capital of the neighbouring North Kivu Province, which is controlled by?M23.

KNOWN CASES NOT THE COMPLETE PICTURE Over the weekend, the WHO declared the outbreak of Bundibugyo, the strain of the virus for which there is currently no vaccine available, as a public-health emergency of international concern.

Jane Halton is the chairperson of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations. She said that the confirmed cases are likely only the "top of the iceberg". CEPI, a funding agency for vaccine development, evaluates potential candidates to fight Ebola.

She said that it might be possible to reach CEPI's goal of having an effective, safe vaccine for major outbreaks in 100 days. However, this would require "a lot of work".

The spread of the outbreak in densely-populated urban areas, and the ongoing conflict in eastern DRC have complicated efforts to contain it.

The outbreak in 2018-2020 of the Zaire strain was the second deadliest ever recorded, with nearly?2,300 deaths.

UGANDA CRITICIZES U.S. TRAVEL BAN

First responders are complaining that they don't have the basic supplies. Some have blamed a?cut in foreign aid by?major donor countries, which has weakened local health care and disease surveillance.

The UK announced on Thursday that it would allocate up to 27 million pounds (20 million pounds) towards the response. The United States has committed $23 millions to the response. They gave $600 million for 2018-2020.

Uganda's Health Ministry said late Wednesday that the United States had not consulted it on plans to set up clinics. It also stressed there was no local transmission.

Information Minister Chris 'Baryomunsi said the U.S. "overreacted" when it banned most travelers?from Uganda along with DRC, South Sudan and South Sudan earlier this week.

He said, "We have dealt with cases of Ebola in other epidemics over a number years." "There are resources in the country that can contain these epidemics."

(source: Reuters)