Latest News

The UK's SFO examines 20 cases following the collapse of bribery proceedings

The Serious Fraud Office of Britain dropped charges against three people for alleged bribery committed in Sierra Leone and announced that it would be reviewing?potential?disclosure concerns in approximately 20 other cases.

London Mining is the latest prosecution that has failed after the SFO was unable to provide relevant evidence to defence.

In 2023, the SFO opened an investigation into former chief executive David Graeme Hossie (60), ex-CFO Rachel Rhodes (55), and former consultant Ariel Armon (57).

The SFO required more time to review any evidence that might have been disclosed to the defense. Their trial was then delayed until January 2028.

On Thursday, Esther 'Schutzer-Weissmann, the SFO's attorney said that "there is no longer a realistic chance of conviction", and Judge Christopher Hehir issued a formal directive not to?send out guilty verdicts.

Hossie and Rhodes welcomed the decision. Armon stated that the decision demonstrates a "profound collapse" in the checks-and-balances system meant to ensure fair trials.

Another problem for the SFO

SFO, who had already identified a problem with its old disclosure system on Thursday, stated that it had discovered another issue where certain?material might not have been available to review.

The SFO stated that "we recognise that although we haven't seen any proof, we must satisfy ourselves that?no relevant or disclosable materials were missed."

Helen Taylor, from the campaign group Spotlight on Corruption, said that the failure of the case "raises questions about how disclosure problems were overlooked in previous reviews".

The SFO is embarrassed by the conclusion of the 'London Mining Case. Its director, Nick Ephgrave, announced last month that he would be stepping down at the end March. He did not say why.

In?2023, the?prosecution against former executives of security?company G4S was halted due to disclosure issues, as was a case brought in 2021 against two former employees of government contractor Serco.

Ephgrave’s two-and a-half year tenure was marked with successes, including the acceleration of investigations and the decision to bring charges. (Reporting and editing by Barbara Lewis; Sam Tobin)

(source: Reuters)