Latest News

Two men arrested in UK for plot to kill hundreds Jews inspired by Islamic State

Two men were sentenced to prison on Friday after allegedly plotting an attack inspired by the Islamic State on the Jewish community of England. Prosecutors said that this plan could have been "deader" than Sydney's Bondi Beach mass shooting in December.

Walid Saadaoui and Amar Hussein were both found guilty after a Preston Crown Court trial, which began one week after the deadly attack at a Manchester synagogue.

The prosecution said that the two men were Islamists who wanted automatic weapons to kill as many Jews as they could during an attack in Manchester.

The guilty verdict came just a few days after the mass shooting that took place at a Jewish Hanukkah party on Bondi Beach, in which 15 people died.

Harpreet sandhu, the prosecutor, said on Friday that if Saadaoui et Hussein had carried out their plans, "it could have been much more serious" than what happened in Australia and Manchester.

Mark Wall, the judge who sentenced Saadaoui and Hussein respectively to minimum terms of 37 years and 26 years, said: "You were close to being able to carry out this plot."

Hussein did not attend his sentencing after refusing to attend the majority of his trial. Wall described Hussein as cowardly, stating that he was "brave enough" to threaten a group without weapons with an AK-47, but not courageous enough to confront what he had done.

POTENTIALLY THE DEADLIEST ATTEMPT ON UK SOIL

Sandhu, the prosecutor, told the jury that Saadaoui arranged to smuggle two assault rifles and an automatic pistol, as well as almost 200 rounds of ammunition, into Britain via the port at Dover, when he was arrested in May 2024.

Saadaoui said he planned to purchase two additional rifles, another pistol and collect?at least 900 ammunition rounds.

Wall stated that "this would have likely been one of the most deadly terrorist attacks carried out ever on British soil."

Saadaoui was unaware that the man he had been trying to get the weapons from, "Farouk", was actually an undercover agent who helped foil the plan.

Bilel Saadaoui (37), Walid Saadaoui’s brother, was found guilty for failing to disclose information regarding terrorist acts. He was sentenced six years in prison. (Reporting and editing by William James; Aidan Lewis, Aidan Lewis).

(source: Reuters)