Latest News

China reduces the death toll of Shanxi coal mining disaster to 82

Local officials announced at a press conference held late Saturday that the death toll had been revised to 82. The explosion at the Liushenyu mine in China's north province of Shanxi on Friday night killed 82 people. Initial reports from state media said that at least 90 people had been killed. Even if the number is lower, it remains China's most deadly mining accident since 2009 when a gas exploding at the Xinxing Mine, in Heilongjiang Province, killed 108.

At a press conference, local officials stated that the initial death count reported by state media was incorrect.

Guo Xiaofang said that the situation was chaotic after the incident, and the company had a difficult time calculating the number of employees, leading to the inaccurate initial number.

At the time of explosion, there were 247 workers underground.

Guo reported that two people were still missing, 128 had been injured and were hospitalised, and 35 were not hurt.

Local officials stated at the press conference that Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group owns Liushenyu Mine and that all four mines of this company have been closed, and executives detained.

The People's Daily, a state-run newspaper, published an editorial about the accident on its front page Sunday morning. It called for more?attention to safety?in production as well as to "completely revert the tendency to prioritize development over safety."

Xinhua reported that President Xi Jinping had on Saturday called for authorities to "spare nothing" when it came to treating the injured, and executing search and rescue operations. He also ordered a probe into the incident.

Officials stated at the press conference that the mine has a production capacity of 1,2 million tons of coal annually. Last year, China mined 4,83 billion tons of coal. This fuel is the foundation of its energy sector. (Reporting and editing by Christian Schmollinger; Luoyan Luu, Colleen Howe)

(source: Reuters)