Latest News

The US offers billions in Congo mineral investment after tariffs

President Donald Trump’s senior advisor for Africa revealed during a Thursday visit that the United States was in talks with Congo to invest billions in the mineral-rich country and to end a conflict that is raging there.

The Democratic Republic of Congo has huge reserves of cobalt and lithium, among other minerals. It has been fighting Rwandan-backed M23 Rebels, who have taken over large areas of its territory in this year. The U.S., which on Wednesday sent shockwaves across the world by announcing a 10% baseline tariff on all imports, said last month that it is open to exploring critical minerals partnerships with Congo after a Congolese senator contacted U.S. officials to pitch a minerals-for-security deal.

You have heard of a mineral agreement. After meeting Congo President Felix Tshisekedi, U.S. Senior Advisor Massad Boulos stated that the U.S. had reviewed the Congo proposal and "the president and I agreed on a way forward for its future development".

On Thursday, the details of any possible deal or Congo's offer were not made public.

The minerals of Congo, which are used to make mobile phones and electric vehicles, are currently controlled by China and Chinese mining companies.

Boulos said that U.S. firms will be involved.

Rest assured that American companies will operate transparently, and stimulate local economies. "These are multi-billion dollar investments," he stated.

Joseph Bangakya is a Congolese MP and the president of a Congo - U.S. friendship group. He said that members were preparing legislation to improve the business climate in Central Africa.

He said that achieving a trade deal with the United States was essential.

Boulos said that the U.S. wanted to help bring peace to the east, where M23 has taken over two of eastern Congo's largest cities and thousands have died.

He said, "We want to have a lasting peace which affirms the territorial and sovereign integrity of the DRC." "There is no economic prosperity without safety." (Written by Edward McAllister, edited by Mark Heinrich and Portia crowe)

(source: Reuters)