Latest News

Estonia claims NATO shot down suspected Ukrainian drone

The Baltic state of Estonia said that a NATO jet shot down an alleged Ukrainian drone above Estonia on Tuesday. This is the latest in a series of airspace violations occurring in the?region due to frequent Ukrainian attacks against Russia.

The Latvian army reported that neighbouring Latvia had also issued a drone warning, telling residents living near the Russian border not to leave their homes. NATO Baltic Air Police Jets were summoned in the area.

Ukraine has intensified long-range drone strikes on?Russia including in the Baltic. Since March, Ukrainian military drones strayed into the airspaces of NATO member countries Finland, Latvia and Lithuania, all of which border Russia. The Latvian government resigned last week over the handling?of these incursions.

Hanno Pevkur, Estonian Defence Minister, said that a Romanian F-16 fighter shot down the suspected Ukrainian drone on Tuesday. Hanno Pevkur, Estonia's Defence Minister, said that NATO did not respond immediately to a comment request.

Last week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy announced that Ukraine would be sending experts to Latvia to protect the country's sky.

On?May 15, Finnish authorities warned that suspected drone activity was taking place in the capital's?region. They told people to stay inside and suspended traffic at Helsinki Airport for three hours.

No drones were found despite the?Finnish defense forces scrambling fighter jets and other emergency services. Reporting by Andrius Sytas, Janis Laizans, in Riga, and Essi Lehto, in Helsinki. Additional reporting by Lili Bayer, in Brussels, and Niklas pollard, in Stockholm. Writing by Anna Ringstrom. Editing by Terje Sollsvik and Peter Graff.

(source: Reuters)