Latest News

UAE's embargo against Iran following missile threat brings rivalry to the forefront

The UAE has suspended all financial relations with Iran

Iran blamed for missile threat by major Gulf oil producers

* Missile Launch?comes in the midst of standoff over deal ending U.S.-Iran Conflict

DUBAI, August 19 - The decision by the United 'Arab Emirates to suspend all economic and financial transactions with Iran, citing a military escalation in Tehran, with a threat of missiles, has refocused attention on the fraught ties that exist between the'major gulf arab oil producer, Iran and the'major gulf Arab oil producers. The UAE was the Gulf State most severely hit by Iran during the early stages in the Middle East War. The last reported attack in the UAE was on the port of Fujairah, which is a major oil export hub, on May 4. UAE cut off commercial ties after defence ministry reported that they had detected two ballistic missiles fired from Iran. This was the first time residents in the UAE received phone alerts about possible threats for months.

According to a statement released by the ministry, the missiles were aimed at "maritime traffic". It said that both missiles were lost in the sea.

On Tuesday, the UAE sent residents a phone alert stating that it was safe to resume normal activities following the previous warning.

The UAE's statement that its missiles target maritime traffic was rejected by Iran's Foreign Ministry as "baseless."

UAE SAYS THAT IT IS COMMITTED to dialogue. Dubai, the UAE’s main commercial hub is one of Tehran’s most important economic lifelines. Afra Al Hameli is the Director of Strategic Communications at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. She said that the UAE was committed dialogue and cooperation in order to promote peace, stability and prosperity throughout the region. Al Hameli stated that due to regional tensions that threaten regional and international security and peace, all financial, commercial, and trade transactions with Iran were halted.

Anwar Gargash said on X in a posting that rumours of the "provision of 'financial facilitations to Iran'" were "false, and part of desperate campaigns in the media". The UAE became involved in the regional war that began in February when U.S. and Israeli strikes were launched against Iran. The attacks by Iran on UAE soil ceased in May, but continued in Kuwait and Bahrain. The attacks on UAE vessels at sea did not cease.

ADNOC, one of the largest energy companies in the world, announced that it was significantly affected by unprovoked attacks against its employees and assets. The company said this as it tried to continue meeting customer demands despite an "exceptionally difficult environment." ADNOC stated in a press release that some of its vessels have been attacked by drones and missiles as they transit the Strait of Hormuz.

The UAE's missile launch, which it blamed on Iran, came after a 60-day window for U.S. and Iranian peace talks ended without a breakthrough. This raised fears of an escalation of the?conflict. It has been disrupting shipping through the Strait of Hormuz in February.

Iran has not claimed responsibility. Iran's Revolutionary Guards had previously threatened to take action against vessels that transited the strait, if they were linked to Tehran’s enemies or did not comply with Iranian instructions. (Writing and editing by Toby Chopra; Michael Georgy)

(source: Reuters)