Latest News

Israeli forces kill four militants and a farmer in Gaza

Israel's military said that Israeli forces killed four militants on Monday in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip. They opened fire after they emerged from a tunnel underground and fired on troops.

The attack was a violation, according to the US government, of the ceasefire that had been negotiated by the U.S. with the Palestinian Islamist Hamas and that came into effect in Gaza last year. It viewed the incident as "extremely grave".

Hamas did not immediately comment, but sources close to Hamas identified Anas Annashar as the son of Issa, a senior Hamas official who was also the co-founder of the group.

Israel has responded to similar incidents by airstriking the entire enclave where dozens of people were killed in recent months.

Health officials reported that an Israeli airstrike on Monday killed three Palestinians inside an apartment in Gaza City, located north of the enclave.

No immediate comments were made by the Israeli military. However, a security source told the?that the Israeli army "striked in retaliation to Hamas' breach of the ceasefire".

Since the ceasefire, dozens of Hamas fighters have been trapped underground in tunnels. Some have been killed by Israeli forces in subsequent clashes.

According to local health officials, Israeli forces also shot and killed a Palestinian in Deir Al-Balah, a central Gaza Strip town.

Israel has not commented on the incident immediately.

The ceasefire has been repeatedly violated by violence and both sides have blamed each other for truce violations. Washington is pressing them to move on to the next phases in the ceasefire agreement, which is meant to end the war 'forever'.

The next phase in President Donald Trump's Gaza Plan calls for the resolution of complex issues, such as the?Hamas de-armament which the group has rejected for years, an additional Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, and the deployment of a international peacekeeping force.

Gaza's health ministry reported that at least 580 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since October's ceasefire agreement. Israel claims that militants in Gaza have killed four soldiers during the same time period.

Gaza's war began with Hamas' attacks in southern Israel on October 7, 2023, which killed over 1,200 people. According to the Palestinian Health Ministry, the death toll for Palestinians in Gaza has now exceeded 71,000. (Reporting and editing by Timothy Heritage, Kevin Liffey, and Emily Rose; Additional reporting by Nidal Al-Mughrabi)

(source: Reuters)