Latest News

Israel attacks hit bases in central Syria and kill four in the south

Syria's official news agency reported that Israeli shelling in southern Syria killed four people on Tuesday. The Israeli military had claimed its troops had engaged militants who opened fire.

The violence in the border area is a sign of increased tension between Israel and Syria. A new islamist-led government has been established after rebels removed former president Bashar al Assad from power.

Israel has said that it will not tolerate a militant islamist presence in southern Syria. It also sent its troops to the border zone of Syria. Syria's leadership said that it did not plan to open a front with Israel.

The Israeli military announced on Tuesday that militants in southern Syria fired at Israeli troops without specifying if the Israeli troops were inside Syrian territory or not.

Israeli military claimed that its troops had returned fire, and an Israeli warplane had struck militants. The Israeli military did not give any details about casualties, but only said that "hits have been identified".

Syria's official news agency reported that Israeli tank fire in Koya (a town located in southern Daraa province) had killed four and injured others. One of the victims was a woman. According to a Syrian security source, the death toll is expected to increase.

Israel had earlier claimed that it had struck two military bases located in the central Syrian province of Homs.

An Israeli military statement stated that "a short time ago, the IDF destroyed military capabilities which remained in the Syrian military bases Tadmur and T4".

Israel carried out airstrikes against Syria for years under Assad, targeting Iranian-linked military bases and weapons transfers to Hezbollah in Lebanon, which were deployed on Syrian territory.

Israel continues to strike Syrian military bases despite the fact that Assad's fall has cut off this arms route.

Kaja Kallas, the European Union's chief of foreign policy, warned Tuesday that Israel's attacks in Syria "risk escalation".

Kallas, who spoke at a press conference alongside Israel's Foreign Minister Giden Saar said that the two had discussed Israel’s actions.

Kallas stated that the EU felt these actions were unnecessary because Syria was not currently attacking Israel. Reporting by Maya Gebeily in Cairo, Enas Alashray, Yomna Elhab and Jana Choukeir, in Dubai, with editing by Angus MacSwan.

(source: Reuters)