Latest News

On Independence Day, the search for victims of the Indonesia earthquake is underway.

Residents in villages?in eastern Indonesia?hit by a deadly earthquake that killed 68 people waited for?help?on?Monday as rescuers searched through collapsed structures to find people trapped under the rubble. Berton SP Panjaitan of Indonesia's disaster management agency said that the death toll had been raised from 54 to 68 late on Monday. He added that over 200 people were injured.

Many people are afraid to go back to their homes because of the aftershocks. Panjaitan reported that residents in East Nusa Tenggara were jolted by nearly 1,600 aftershocks as of Monday. The tremor cast a dark shadow on Indonesia's Independence Day celebrations. Geophysics agency of Indonesia reported a magnitude 5.6 earthquake in the area on Monday morning.

The quake caused landslides, and roads were blocked in the southernmost province of Indonesia. This included Sikka and Manggarai.

Firmus Woge (64), a farmer from a village near the Ende region affected by the earthquake, was treated for asthma aggravated because of the panic caused by the quake.

He was having trouble breathing overnight. "But it's getting even worse after this morning's earthquake," he gasped for breath.

Emilianus Oro (56), a farmer from Ranukolo Village, told reporters that in tents nearby, 70 residents, mostly women, were without clean water. This led to children getting diarrhoea. He claimed that one elderly person suffered a stroke, and the residents had not received any aid.

Veronika, 22 was swaddling her baby in a blanket with her mother in the back seat of a pickup truck, as her home was no longer habitable.

She said, "I only eat rice and nothing else." We need help as soon as we can. "We are only salt farmers."

SEARCH WILL CONTINUE Panjaitan stated that the search would continue on Monday despite no reports of missing persons being received.

Fathur Rahman is the?chief of the Sikka capital Maumere's rescue office. He said on Monday that the search will be centered on aerial monitoring? for anyone who has gone missing, using?a helicopter?and an extrication tool?. Panjaitan reported that authorities were preparing planes for the delivery of aid, such as tents and food. Panjaitan said that the quake had damaged 500 homes.

Benjamin Paulus Octavianus said that Indonesia will also build a?emergency field hospital in various areas.

Benjamin stated that neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons are needed to treat broken bones and head injuries.

I DON'T THINK ABOUT IT ANYMORE

On Monday, in Jakarta, some 1,500 km (930 mi) west of disaster zones, President Prabowo Subito presided over a celebration marking Indonesia's 1945 independence from Japanese rule.

Residents of an Ende village who fled their village in fear of tsunamis took their mattresses and clothes to higher ground.

Gervas, a 42-year-old resident from Ende, was asked about his feelings about Independence Day celebrations. He replied: "I don’t think about it anymore. I only think about my wife and 4-year old twins." Reporting by Anandateresia and Stanley Widianto, with editing by David Stanway and Saad sayeed.

(source: Reuters)