Latest News

Pakistan claims Indian actions made floods worse

By Saeed Bukhari and Mubasher Shah

ISLAMABAD - The flooding in Pakistan caused by water flowing down from India has been made worse because New Delhi suspended a river sharing treaty, and the gates of an Indian barrage collapsed, Pakistani officials stated on Friday.

This week, torrential monsoon rainfall ravaged India and Pakistan. Further heavy rains are forecast this weekend. Flood waters in eastern Pakistan threatened to submerge Jhang and the second largest city in Pakistan on Friday. This was the worst flooding for almost 40 years.

Indus Waters treaty regulates the flow of rivers from India into Pakistan for over six decades. India suspended the agreement this year after 26 militants were killed by New Delhi, who claimed that Islamabad was behind them. Pakistan, however, denies it.

Ahsan Iqbal is the Pakistani Planning Minister. He said that India used to share data about water flows with Pakistan under a treaty, but it was not shared quickly or in enough detail.

Iqbal said, "We could've managed better with better information." If the Indus water treaty had been in place, we could've mitigated the effect.

Video broadcast on Thursday by Indian media showed that the middle section of Madhopur Barrage, which spans Ravi River, India, had been washed out by surging waters. Pakistani officials claimed that the damage caused by this surge flooded parts of Lahore, Pakistan on Friday.

A source in the Indian government denied that there was a deliberate attempt to flood Pakistan. However, they confirmed that two gates from the Madhopur Barrage had broken.

The source declined to identify themselves, but cited government policy. Indian authorities are trying to stop the flow of the Ravi River despite damage to the barrage.

Source: "India does everything it can to help and is passing on all information." The flood is caused by the constant rain.

The Indian foreign and water resource ministries have not responded to requests for comments on record.

Pakistani officials claim that India has sent Islamabad four flood alerts since Sunday. This includes a Friday warning. New Delhi has acknowledged that it is passing warnings to Islamabad on humanitarian grounds. However, no details have been provided.

India stopped sharing information with other water officials when it put the 1960 agreement on hold. This week, India's embassy sent warnings through Islamabad.

Iqbal said climate change made it harder to predict the annual monsoon, which is why sharing data was more important. His constituency, Narowal near the Indian border had been badly flooded.

Iqbal said, "Climate Change is not a bilateral problem." It is a matter of humanity.

Pakistani authorities blew up a part of the Chenab River's riverbank on Friday to divert some water to surrounding land as the water threatened to flood nearby Jhang.

This week, Pakistan evacuated over 1 million people in the east to keep them out of the way of three rivers flowing from India.

According to the National Disaster Management Authority, 820 Pakistanis have died during this monsoon. Half of Pakistan's 240 million people live in the east, which is also the breadbasket of the nation. The deluge has caused widespread crop damage. Reporting by Saeed Bukhari, Mubasher in Lahore, and Krishna N. Das at New Delhi. Writing by Saeed. Editing by Peter Graff.

(source: Reuters)