Latest News

Oil drops over 2% after Trump announces he will not attack Iran

Oil prices dropped more than 2% on early Asian trading on Tuesday, after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that he would pause a planned strike on Iran to 'allow for negotiations in order to end the Middle East war.

Brent futures for delivery in July fell $3.01 or 2.7% to $109.09 per barrel at 00:01 GMT. Meanwhile, U.S. West Texas Intermediate Crude for delivery in June fell $1.38 or 1.3% to $107.28. In the previous session, both benchmarks reached their highest levels since April 30 and May 5, respectively.

The June WTI contract expires Tuesday. Meanwhile, the most active contract for July fell by $2.06 or 2% to $102.32 per barrel.

Trump stated on Monday that there was a'very good chance' the United States and Iran could come to an agreement to prevent Tehran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, after announcing a pause in the military action for talks.

While Trump's signals have eased immediate pressure, fundamental risks remain. Tim Waterer is the chief market analyst at KCM Trade. He said that now, the?market will be watching to see if Trump's remarks represent a real shift towards de-escalation.

The oil price will be determined by how Iran reacts to recent developments and what is happening on the water as tankers move through the Strait of Hormuz.

The Middle East conflict effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz. This is a crucial waterway that transports about a fifth of world oil supplies, raising fears of supply disruptions.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry's spokesperson Esmaeil baghaei confirmed to CNN on Monday that the U.S. had received the position of Tehran via Pakistan, but did not provide any further details.

An anonymous Pakistani official said that Islamabad relayed to the other side a new proposal but noted a slow progress.

The semi-official Iranian news agency?Tasnim reported that Washington agreed to waive sanctions against Tehran's oil imports during negotiations. However, a U.S. government official denied this claim.

Scott Bessent, the U.S. Treasury Secretary, extended by 30 days a waiver of sanctions to allow countries that are "energy vulnerable" to continue purchasing Russian oil.

The Energy Department reported that a record 9.9 millions barrels of oil were withdrawn from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in the U.S. last week. This brought the stockpiles to a low of?374million barrels - the lowest level since July 2024.

Fatih Birol, the head of International Energy Agency (IEA), said that commercial oil stocks were rapidly falling. Due to the conflict and disruptions to shipping, there was only a limited supply remaining.

(source: Reuters)