Latest News

Israeli forces kill four militants and a farmer in Gaza

Israel's military reported that four militants were killed by Israeli forces in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, on Monday. They had emerged from a?underground trough and fired on troops.

It said that the attack on Israeli troops was a violation of the ceasefire brokered by the U.S. with the Palestinian Islamist Hamas, which went into effect in Gaza last year.

Israel responded to similar incidents by airstriking the entire enclave where dozens of people were killed.

Hamas did not immediately comment, but sources close to the group said that Anas Annashar was one of those who died. He is the son of an ex-?senior Hamas political figure.

Since the ceasefire, dozens of Hamas fighters were trapped in tunnels beneath Rafah. Some have since been killed by Israeli forces in clashes.

According to local authorities, in a separate incident?Israeli forces shot a Palestinian farmer and killed him in Deir Al-Balah, in the central Gaza Strip.

Israel has not commented on the incident immediately.

The ceasefire has been repeatedly disrupted by violence, and both sides have blamed each other for truce violations. Washington is pressing them to move on to the next phases of the deal to end the war.

Next, President Donald Trump’s Gaza plan will require a solution to complex issues, such as Hamas' disarmament which it has rejected for years, and a further Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, along with the deployment of a peacekeeping international force.

Gaza's health ministry reported that at least 580 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli fire since the October ceasefire agreement. Israel claims that militants have killed four soldiers in Gaza during the same time period.

Hamas' attacks against southern Israel on October 7, 2023, which killed over 1,200 people, began the Gaza war. According to data from the Palestinian Health Ministry, Gaza's death toll now exceeds 71,000.

(source: Reuters)