Latest News

Residents say that at least 30 people have been killed by assailants in villages located in the northwest of Nigeria.

Residents who fled the violence said that armed assailants riding motorbikes attacked three villages in northwest Nigeria's Niger State on Saturday morning and killed at least 30 people. They also burned down houses and shops. Residents who escaped the violence said that armed assailants on motorbikes killed?at least 30 people and burned houses and shops during raids?on three villages?in northwest Nigeria's Niger State early... Insecurity in Nigeria is a major concern and the government faces increasing pressure to restore security.

Wasiu Abididun, Niger State Police spokesperson, confirmed that the attack took place in one of the villages.

Abiodun stated that "suspected bandits" invaded Tunga Makeri village. Six people were killed, and some houses were set on fire.

He said that the attackers had moved on to Konkoso Village, but details of other attacks were unclear.

Jeremiah Timothy said that the attack began early in the morning with gunfire.

At least 26 people have been killed in the village so far, after they set fire to the police station," said Timothy. He added that the attackers entered Konkoso at 6 a.m. (0500 GMT) and shot indiscriminately.

Residents heard military jets overhead, he said.

One witness, who asked to remain anonymous, stated that the attackers, on?more? than 200 motorbikes?, targeted the villages.

Auwal Ibrahim of Tunga-Makeri recalled the assault on his village in the early morning at around 0200 GMT.

The bandits stormed our town at 3:00 am (local time), riding motorcycles and shooting randomly, killing six people as well as beheading several others. Ibrahim reported that the bandits set shops on fire and forced everyone to flee.

He said that many of the villagers are afraid to return because gunmen still remain in the area. Reporting by Ahmed Kingimi, Maiduguri; Hamza Ibrahim, Kano Writing and editing by Barbara Lewis.

(source: Reuters)