Latest News

Five miner presumed dead following mudslide at South African diamond mining

South Africa's Mining Minister said Friday that five diamond miners who have been?missing? since Tuesday after a mudslide occurred deep underground are presumed to be?dead.

Gwede Mantashe said at a press briefing that the bodies of those who were killed should be recovered, South African Broadcasting Corporation (SAB) reported.

Miners were trapped more than 800 meters underground when a "mud rush" occurred at the Ekapa Mine in Northern Cape Province.

Ekapa Minerals said that all operations had been stopped immediately following the incident and that rescue efforts continued.

Howard Marsden, Ekapa Minerals' General Manager, said that the time since the event was a "major concern" but that there had been no changes in their approach to rescue efforts.

Mantashe stated in a separate press release that an investigation will be conducted to determine what happened.

South Africa's mining industry and government have made efforts to reduce the number of mine-related deaths and injuries as part of "Zero Harm", a campaign. The?country's 41 mine-related deaths was its lowest ever.

Ekapa Minerals informed the families of trapped?miners who held a candlelight vigil on Thursday night near the mine.

Kimberley was the location of the 19th century diamond rush that attracted fortune seekers from around the world.

Diamond revenues helped to finance the colonial ruler Britain during two world wars. (Reporting and editing by Alexander Winning; Additional reporting by Sfundo parakozov, Editing by Anathi madubela)

(source: Reuters)