Latest News

Gabon dismisses energy concerns over 2029 manganese refining deadline

Gabon's Mining Minister said on Wednesday that the country's ban on raw manganese imports in 2029 will not be excused by energy shortages. He dismissed industry warnings about power shortages delaying refinery construction. Last year, the world's second-largest producer of manganese (used in steelmaking, and increasingly, in electric vehicle batteries) introduced a policy to diversify their economy, after decades of raw ore exports. They joined other African countries seeking to maximize value from mineral wealth.

In the Central African nation, power shortages are common and hamper the expansion of industrialisation that is energy intensive. The French company Eramet and other mining companies in the country have stated their willingness to work with the government regarding the new refinery rules. However, power shortages remain a problem.

Sosthene Nguema Nguema, Gabon Mining minister, said that alternative technologies have proven to be an effective way of overcoming power concerns.

Nguema stated that "energy is a false discussion." "Some operators have demonstrated 'processes which reduce energy consumption?by 40% to 60%. We do not anticipate that energy will be an issue in 2029.

TIMELINE DETAILED

Official data shows that Gabon will export 9.4 million tons of manganese by 2024, a decrease of 5.3% from the previous year. Most of it is exported as raw material.

Nguema stated that all manganese mines must provide detailed implementation timelines, and demonstrate measurable progress toward compliance.

Nguema reiterated that the 2029 deadline was not negotiable. He added that Eramet's management crisis, which controls Gabon’s Comilog and operates the world's largest manganese mine, in?Moanda should not impact its compliance.

"Eramet must conform like everyone else."

Eramet, in a 'emailed statement', said that the firing of its CEO on February 1, did not change its'strategy' and was unrelated to Gabon's activities. Eramet declined to comment further.

Two Iron Mines

Nguema stated that Gabon is expecting two new mines - Milingui and Baniaka Iron Ore Mines - to be online this year as part of an effort to expand the sector.

He warned that those companies who fail to start construction or production would lose their licenses.

He said that those who promised to open mines by 2026 but did not keep their word before 31 December would be asked to leave the country. Maxwell Akalaare Adombila, Bate Felix and Rod Nickel (Reporting)

(source: Reuters)