Latest News

The government claims that the alleged kidnappers of Mexican miners believed they were a rival group

The Mexican security minister stated on Tuesday that a group of ten miners who were kidnapped last month in northern Mexico may have been mistaken as members of a rival crime group. This was after authorities questioned the initial suspects.

The authorities in the violent state of Sinaloa announced on Monday that 10 bodies had been recovered in their search for the workers kidnapped at a mine operated by Canada's Vizsla?Corp. However, the Mexican Attorney General's Office said they only identified five bodies.

Security Minister Omar Harfuch stated at Tuesday's President?Claudia Sheinbaum daily press conference that "the detainees initial statements indicated that the 'victims' were mistaken as members of a rival gang." He added that 'four suspects' have been arrested'so far. Harfuch stated that the suspects were members of the Chapitos faction of the Sinaloa drug cartel, led by the children of former drug lord Joaquin Guzman. He also noted that the Chapitos faction was in conflict with another group called the Mayos and suggested the miners had been confused with this group.

The group was taken at the end of January from a mine for silver in a region that security authorities say is controlled by the Chapitos.

Mexico sent over 1,000 troops to the area, including elite'marines', in an effort to locate the missing miner.

Harfuch said that more arrests were expected.

Harfuch stated that there were no previous reports or complaints about extortion, criminal harassment or Vizsla's Silver Corp., although similar incidents have happened elsewhere in the nation, resulting in investigations and arrests of companies. (Reporting and editing by Emelia Sithole Matarise; Brendan O'Boyle)

(source: Reuters)