Latest News

First Quantum is asked by the Panamanian president to stop tours of a closed copper mine

First Quantum is asked by the Panamanian president to stop tours of a closed copper mine

First Quantum Minerals' Panamanian President Jose Raul Mulino said on Thursday that it should not allow public tours to its closed copper mine because the site should give the impression that it is still operating.

He said there had not been any discussion or progress with the company on the issue of the mining, which was ordered by the government to be closed in 2023 after public protests.

He told a news conference that he didn't want to give the impression the mine was operating.

He added, "They must suspend the arbitration and then we will sit down and talk."

First Quantum announced earlier this month that it would suspend the arbitration process over the mine. Mulino had said the suspension was necessary to discuss the possible exportation of the 120,000 tons copper concentrate still at the site.

Mulino responded that he could consider the possibility of signing a new contract in Panama with First Quantum.

He said, "Everything will get studied but we have no one to study with right now." "We will cross the bridge when it is time." (Reporting and editing by Sarah Morland, Elida Morland, Daina Beth Solon, Natalia Ramos, Juana Casas, and Juana Casas)

(source: Reuters)