Latest News

Israeli strikes on Lebanon kill 10 including a senior Hezbollah leader

Two security sources told us that at least 10 people were killed and 50 injured in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa valley on Friday. The Israeli military had claimed it had targeted Hezbollah in the Baalbek region.

The strikes, among the deadliest in eastern Lebanon over recent weeks, risk testing an already fragile ceasefire mediated by the U.S. between?Israel's and Shi'ite Islamist Hezbollah. This has been straining due to recurring allegations of violations.

In a press release, the Israeli military claimed that it had struck Hezbollah's command centres in Baalbek in eastern Lebanon's Bekaa valley.

Sources said that a senior Hezbollah leader was among the dead.

Hezbollah did not immediately comment.

Israel and Hezbollah agreed to a ceasefire, mediated by the United States in 2024. The agreement was intended to put an end to more than a decade of cross-border firing that culminated with Israeli strikes which weakened Iran-aligned groups. The sides have exchanged accusations since then of ceasefire violation.

U.S. officials and Israeli officials have "pressed" Lebanese authorities into reducing Hezbollah’s arsenal. Meanwhile, Lebanese leadership has warned that wider Israeli strikes could further destabilize the country already ravaged by political and financial crises.

Separately the 'Israeli military' said it had also struck a Hamas control centre that militants used to operate in the Ain al-Hilweh region in southern Lebanon. Ain al-Hilweh, a Palestinian refugee camp located near Sidon, is overcrowded.

Hamas issued a statement condemning the 'Israeli attack on Ain al-Hilweh' and rejecting Israeli assertions regarding?the target. The site, according to Hamas, belongs to the Joint Security Force of the camp tasked with maintaining the security. Reporting by Laila Basam and Enas Alashray; Editing and Rosalba o'Brien by Rod Nickel

(source: Reuters)