Latest News
-
Six Lebanese doctors killed by Israeli attacks in 24 hours: Health Ministry
Lebanon's Health Ministry announced on Friday that six Lebanese Paramedics had been killed in two Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon over a 24-hour period. The ministry condemned the attacks, calling them violations of international law. The health ministry of Lebanon reports that an Israeli strike in southern Lebanon, overnight on Thursday and Friday, killed four paramedics with the Islamic Health Association. The ministry reported that two medics of the Al-Rissala Scouts Association?in Deir Quanoun En-Nahr were killed by an Israeli strike on Friday morning. The Israeli military did not immediately respond to questions about the strikes. The ministry released a video, which it claimed was shot in Deir Qanoun En-Nahr. It showed two men wearing yellow vests?on the roadside tending to someone. A flash and loud boom are heard when an ambulance approaches these two men. These same men then lie on the ground. The buildings, trees and road map matched the archive images of the area. According to the health ministry, there were six deaths in Deir Quanoun En Nahr. This included two medics, a child from Syria, and other people. Airstrikes on the town earlier this week killed 14 people. This was the deadliest strike since last month's tenuous ceasefire. Since March 2, when the Lebanese group Hezbollah opened fire on Israel, more than 3,100 people in Lebanon have died. According to the statistics released by the Health Ministry on Friday, 123?medics and more than 210 women were among those killed. The international humanitarian law protects frontline responders and healthcare workers, as well as civil infrastructure such as healthcare centres. According to the World Health Organization, Israeli airstrikes have damaged or completely shut down several hospitals in southern Lebanon. According to the Health Ministry, on Thursday, an Israeli strike near the Tebnine Hospital, in southern Lebanon, damaged all three levels of the building, including the emergency room and intensive care unit. The hospital also suffered damage to its surgical ward, ambulances, and the outside parking lot. Reporting by Maya Gebeily, Catherine Cartier and Tansy Liu in Beirut; Eleanor Whalley and Rami Ayyub from Jerusalem; Editing by Chiara Rodriquez
-
France prepares UN resolution on Hormuz after vote on US text is delayed
France has written a U.N. Security Council Resolution on setting up a international mission to restore?movement?in Strait of Hormuz?and You could submit it, if The conditions are "right",?the Foreign Ministry said on Friday as Washington struggled to put to a vote an anti-Tehran text that Russia and China might claim is biased. The control of the narrow waterway is a major obstacle to ending the U.S.-Iran conflict, which has lasted for three months. It's a vital artery in the global energy trade, and its virtual closure caused oil prices to skyrocket. The U.S. and Bahraini resolutions on the strait have been discussed for over two weeks. Voting has been repeatedly delayed because China and Russia'signaled they could veto' it. The U.S. and Bahraini draft resolution requires Iran to cease attacks and mining within the strait. China and Russia both vetoed an April text backed by the U.S., saying it was biased towards Tehran. Two European diplomats claim that Washington has secured the co-sponsorship of almost 140 countries in order to avoid a veto. France, a veto-wielding country, has refused to support the U.S. draft. There is currently a draft of a resolution being discussed between the U.S.A. and Bahrain. The current discussions are based on this document. Pascal Confavreux, a spokesman for France's Foreign Ministry, said that the date of the vote "has not been announced yet". France's President Emmanuel Macron said that Paris would push an initiative to the UN in order to consolidate Franco-British attempts to put together a?international team to reestablish freedom of navigation once the situation allows and after consulting with Washington and Tehran. "We're working on an international mission to restore the freedom of navigation." As a permanent member of the UN, we have prepared a draft that can be discussed when conditions are favorable," said Confavreux. The?U.S. The?U.S. John Irish is reporting.
-
Rubio mentions progress in Iran talks, but "we are not there yet".
Marco Rubio, the Secretary of State, said that although there has been some progress in talks with Iran, and the United States is constantly communicating?with pakistani'mediators', there is still a lot more work to be done. There has been progress. I would not exaggerate. "I wouldn't minimize it," Rubio said to reporters following a NATO Ministers Meeting in Sweden. He added, "There is still more work to do." "We are not yet there." "I hope we get there." Rubio stated that President Donald Trump prefers to make a "good deal". He said that the core concern is that Iran cannot possess a nuclear weapon. Rubio stated, "We are dealing with a group of very difficult people. If it does not change, the president has made it clear that he will have other options." "He has said that he prefers to negotiate and get a good deal. However, he is concerned that this may not be possible. But we'll keep trying." Rubio stated that the United States was "in constant communication" with Pakistanis, who facilitate the talks with Iran. Rubio stated that the U.S. did not ask for NATO's help on Friday in the Strait of Hormuz, but a plan B is needed if Iran refuses to open the supply route. Reporting by Michael Martina, Doina Chiacu and CaitlinWebber; editing by Chizu Nomiyama & CaitlinWebber
-
Russia reports four deaths and 35 injuries in the Ukraine attack on a Luhansk dorm for students
Russian officials confirmed that at least 4?people were killed and 35 children injured in an overnight Ukrainian drone attack on a'student dormitory' in the Russian controlled Luhansk region?in eastern Ukraine. The Ukrainian government, which is trying to recapture Luhansk - one of the four eastern regions Moscow unilaterally claimed in 2022 - in what Kyiv called an illegal land grab, was unable to independently verify what had happened. Both sides deny deliberately targeting civilians. Yana Lantratova is the Russian human rights commissioner. She said that 86 teenagers - aged 14-18 - were asleep in the hostel of the Starobilsk College at Luhansk Pedagogical University when 'Ukrainian drones' attacked the hostel during the night. Maria Lvova Belova, presidential commission for children's right, and Leonid Pasechnik the top Russian official in Luhansk said that two people were?pulled out of the rubble. Several?children's conditions in hospitals were described as serious. KREMLIN CALLS ATTACK MONSTROUS Dmitry Peskov, the Kremlin's spokesperson, called for punishment of those who are responsible. "This is an abominable crime. "This is an attack on a school where there are children and youth present," he said to reporters. Moscow announced that the U.N. Security Council will hold an emergency session later Friday in New York to discuss the incident. The Russian Foreign Ministry stated that the Ukrainian strike had destroyed the top three floors of the hostel. The Russian Foreign Ministry said that there were no nearby military installations and that Ukraine must have known what they were attacking. "We call on the international organizations, national governments and global community to give a?honest evaluation... and strongly condemn the bloody terrorist attacks." The Russian authorities released photos and videos showing rescue workers dragging a man from the rubble. They also showed severely damaged buildings, including one that appeared to be partially collapsed. Volodymyr Zelenskiy, the president of Ukraine, promised revenge after laying red flowers on the rubble from a Kyiv apartment block where a Russian missile attack had killed 24 people including three children. Reporting by Andrew Osborn, Writing by Kevin Liffey
-
Source: Qatari team to negotiate in Tehran with Iran to end the war.
Sources with knowledge of this matter said that a Qatari team was in Tehran Friday to "try to secure a deal" to end the "war" with Iran and to resolve outstanding issues. Doha had previously acted as a mediator for the Gaza War and other international conflicts, but it has now backed away from a role of mediation in the Iran War after being attacked by Iranian drones and missiles in the most recent conflict. The source added that "a Qatari team of negotiators is in Tehran this Friday" and that they had traveled in coordination with the United States. They were there to "help reach a final agreement that would end the "war" and address outstanding issues between Iran and the United States." The Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs didn't immediately respond to an inquiry for comment. Qatar's reengagement is a reflection of its long-standing role as an ally of the United States in the region, and a trusted back-channel for Washington and Tehran. There is a shaky truce in the war which began on 28 February with U.S. and Israeli strikes against Iran. However, there has not been a major breakthrough. The U.S. blocked Iranian ports while the Strait of Hormuz was effectively closed by Tehran. On Thursday, a senior Iranian source said that although no agreement had been reached, the gaps between the two countries have narrowed. Iran's control over the Strait and its uranium enrichment are among the remaining sticking issues. Marco Rubio, Secretary of State, noted progress on Thursday. "There are some good signs," said Rubio. "I'm not going to be too optimistic... Let's wait and see what happens in the next few days. Rubio, when asked about the Qatari delegation in Iran on Friday on the sidelines a NATO gathering in Sweden, told reporters that Pakistan had been the main interlocutor during the Iran negotiations and that they did an "admirable" job. He said: "Obviously, other countries have interests, especially Gulf countries, which are in the middle of it all - they're going through their own situation. We?talk with all of them. "I would say that Pakistan has been the main country with which we have worked on this issue, and it remains so." Doha's renewed engagement comes despite Iran's bombardment of Qatar with hundreds missiles and drones that targeted civilian infrastructure as well as its crucial liquefied natural gas (LNG), production facility in Ras Laffan. This attack destroyed roughly 17 percent Qatar's LNG production capacity. On March 2, the country had already stopped LNG production following?Iranian attacks. The Strait of Hormuz was the main route for about 20% of all global LNG trade. This came primarily from Qatar. Qatar is the United States' largest military base in the Middle East. It hosts Al Udeid Air Base. Reporting by Dubai Newsroom, Additional reporting by Doina chiacu, Editing and editing by Toby Chopra.
-
The European Commission has proposed a reprieve from Russia sanctions for dealings with Chinese chip firm
A spokesperson for the European Commission said that it had proposed a nine month derogation on dealings with a Chinese semiconductor company listed in its 20th set of sanctions against Russia. The spokesperson stated that the company, Yangzhou Yangjie Electronic will remain on?European Union sanctions list, but the temporary reprieve?will allow automakers?to find alternative chip suppliers and?avoid?a "severe interruption"?. The EU will need to agree 'unanimously' on the proposed measure for it to come into effect. European automakers have become more dependent on Yangzhou Yangjie Electronic in order to replace products that were previously listed as being made by Chinese competitors and included in previous Russia sanctions packages. "This company was added to our list of sanctions because they significantly helped?Russian military capabilities." The products were used in glide bombs and drones by Russian troops operating in Ukraine," said the?spokesperson. "Our sanctions are designed to change behavior and we try to find a balance so that they don't have a significant impact on the EU." (Reporting and editing by Tomasz Janovski and Emelia Sithole Matarise).
-
Copper prices rise as LME stock falls
Copper prices rose Friday, as falling inventories overshadowed expectations of seasonal muted demand from China's top metals consumer and uncertainty about progress in U.S. Iran peace talks. In open-outcry official trading, the price of a metric ton of three-month 'copper' on the London Metal Exchange rose 0.6% to $13,599 per tonne. Copper stocks available in LME registered warehouses LME data daily showed that the price of crude oil fell to its lowest level in 10 weeks after 53 325 tons had been earmarked for shipment. COMEX traded at a higher price than the LME benchmark, as the market waited to see if Washington would impose import tariffs before the end of June. Ben Davis, RBC Capital Markets' head of European Metals and Mining Research, said that the tightness on the copper market was exacerbated because tons were brought into the U.S. If Washington's tariffs are removed, the copper market could see a return of massive stocks to the supply chain. Yangshan copper premium is a demand-side premium. This week, the price of copper in China remained at $73 per ton. It was its highest level since mid-April. The demand for copper in China will likely fall as China enters its off-season. Shanghai Exchange monitors copper stocks in warehouses This week, the price of oil rose for only the second time since mid-March. It gained 1.6%. Analysts at Chinese broker Galaxy Futures said that "downstream consumption has weakened and cargo pickup?has slowed." LME aluminium increased?0.1% in official activity to $3,641.5. Reduced supply in the Gulf due to the Iran War is keeping the premium on the LME Aluminium Cash Contract?over the benchmark High indicates tightness. Last, the premium was $67. After hitting a high of $2,010, LME lead fell by 0.4% to $1.997. This week, the discount of the LME Cash Contract compared to the benchmark contract changed from a discount to a premium. . Zinc increased by 0.7%, to $3,547. Tin gained?1.3%, to $53,955, while nickel remained at $18,730. Indonesia, a major producer of nickel pig iron, said that it would exclude the metal from its plan to centralise commodity exports. (Reporting and editing by Jonathan Ananda, Janane Venkatraman, and Dylan Duan. Additional reporting by Polina Devitt.
-
Hindalco, India's largest steel company, misses its profit forecasts on Novelis fire-related costs
Hindalco Industries, India, posted a surprise drop in profit for the'second consecutive quarter' on Friday. This was despite higher base metal prices. According to data compiled by LSEG, the Aditya Birla Group's firm reported a 50% drop in consolidated net profits for the?three-month period ended March 31. Analysts had expected a profit of 43.12 billion rupees. Hindalco is one of India’s largest?aluminium- and copper-producing companies. It benefited from higher base metal prices, and increased demand during the seasonally strong third quarter, when construction activity peaks and automotive companies are pushing to meet their production and sales targets by financial year end. Aluminium and copper benchmark three-month prices rose by 21.8% and 36.7 percent respectively, year-on-year in the quarter. Mining companies typically enjoy higher profits when commodity prices rise. Fires at Novelis' New York facility in September and November of last year caused production to be interrupted. The company incurred a?charge of 41.71 billion rupees for the quarter relating to the 'plant fires' in Oswego (New York). Hindalco’s total revenue from operations increased by 20.4% to 781.33 billion Rupees. Analysts had, on average, expected revenue of 723,96 billion rupees. $1 = 95.6900 Indian rupees (Reporting and editing by Ronojoy Mazumdar, Tasim Zaid and Anuran Parmar in Bengaluru)
India's April Diesel Exports are likely to have reached the lowest level for over a decade.
Analysts and trade sources said that India's diesel imports in April likely reached their lowest level for over a decade as Reliance, a major exporter, cut refinery output to maintain equipment at a time of robust domestic demand.
India, Asia's third largest diesel exporter, exported approximately 1.15 million metric tonnes (9.69 millions barrels) of this industrial and transportation fuel during April, according to a combination of data from LSEG Kpler Vortexa, and two other trade sources.
According to official data, this would be the lowest level since February 2012. It is also a substantial drop from the nearly 1-1/2-year high of 2,83 million tonnes registered in March.
The official export figures for April will be released in the last weeks of May.
Charles Ong, senior analyst at LSEG Oil Research, wrote that the unexpectedly low Indian oil exports for April led to limited supplies being sent to Asia and Europe.
India's drop in exports has partially supported Asia's 10-ppm spot gasoil premium
Reliance Industries in Jamnagar, western India, which operates the largest refinery complex in the world, closed some of its units in April for maintenance.
According to two sources and LSEG, the company's exports of diesel fell to 800,000 tonnes in April.
Reliance didn't immediately respond to an inquiry for comment.
Data shows that Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals sold just one cargo in April. Normally, the company exports three cargoes of 65,000 to 70,000 tons per month. One refinery source said that the rest was likely sold on domestic markets.
He added that the higher jet fuel margins in India encouraged refiners to produce more aviation than diesel.
The discount between jet-fuel and 10ppm gasoil in April was around 80 cents per barrel, down from over $1 per barrel in March.
Two sources say that exports for May are expected to increase to 2 million tonnes, due to Reliance's return to production.
One of them stated that MRPL would begin maintenance on one of its crude units which will limit diesel exports.
(source: Reuters)