Latest News

Fortescue hires a law firm to investigate allegations of sexual harassment against senior executives

Gus Pichot, the company's energy chief, said that a senior executive who is under investigation for sexual harassment and bullying continues to work at Fortescue.

Fortescue hired MinterEllison, a law firm to investigate allegations that the company takes "extremely serious", it said in a press release. The Australian Financial Review first published the allegations against the senior executive who was not named earlier in the month.

Pichot stated on a earnings call that "we have taken extensive legal and governance external advice, so we are quite confident that we are following the right process."

In 2021, a state investigation was launched after sexual harassment at West Australian mining sites became a persistent problem.

Fortescue Australia, the third largest miner in Australia, reported on Thursday a drop of 20% to 98 "psychosocial", which includes sexual harassment, ethical issues, and other incidents.

The company with 16,154 employees said that 11 of them were dismissed for violating its code of conduct in relation to sexual harassment and discrimination. The company found 13 instances of inappropriate sexual contact, ten of sexual harassment, and one sexual assault.

Fortescue received a class-action lawsuit in July, alleging misconduct at work, including sexual discrimination and harassment. Potential damages were not specified.

The lawsuit was filed by the law firm JGA Saddler. They also brought similar class actions against Rio Tinto in 2024. These cases are still making their way through the courts.

BHP's report for the year released this week shows that it terminated 109 workers for sexual harassment, and 22 for racial abuse.

In the 2026 fiscal year, it saw a drop of 11% in reports of sexual harassment and a drop by 17% in reports of racial abuse. The top global mining company has 84.309 employees and contract workers worldwide.

Rio Tinto reports its data on a calendar-year basis. In 2025, the company reported a 24% increase in 702 incidents to their care hub. This centre supports employees who are facing a 'variety of disrespectful and harmful workplace behaviors, including harassment.

WorkSafe, the health and safety regulator in Western Australia, logged 28 incidents of sexual assaults and harassment in the first half of this year, according to the data provided. This is down from 113 in the entire last year, and 421 in 2022.

The regulator attributed this drop to the dedicated team of experts that increased their response capacity after the state's investigation into sexual harassment. (Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Sonali Paul)

(source: Reuters)