Latest News

White House: Trump's metal tariffs will not change unless the president announces it

Trump administration officials stated on Friday that there will be no changes to President Donald Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum, as well as thousands of products made with the metals.

In response to a Financial Times article that said the administration planned to reduce tariffs on certain steel and aluminium goods, with possible exceptions, a White House official stated that Trump would "never compromise on reinvigorating domestic manufacturing, which is crucial to our national security and economic stability, especially steel production."

Officials said the administration is implementing a "nimble and nuanced tariff program" to boost U.S. steel, aluminum, and other manufacturing sectors.

The official stated that any speculation about a change in our current tariff system is based on supposition unless it has been officially announced by the Administration.

Scott Bessent, Treasury Secretary, said on CNBC that "I do not think that the FT's reporting today is great," but that it could be modified.

Bessent stated that "if anything is done I think it will be some clarification on some incidental items, but again, the decision will be made by the president."

The U.S.?Commerce Department spokesperson did not respond immediately to a?request for comment regarding the FT article, which cited anonymous sources as saying the Trump administration is reviewing tariffs and will exempt certain items. The U.S. Trade Representative did not respond immediately either.

CNBC reported White House Trade and Manufacturing Advisor Peter Navarro told the network, off camera, that there was in fact no basis for the FT's report that the Administration was planning to?"reduce the tariffs on steel and aluminum".

The Commerce Department is responsible for the Section 232 tariffs on national security that Trump doubled in the last year, which include steel and aluminum.

Trump is pivoting to address the 'rising cost of living' for Americans in a midterm election year.

In its annual fiscal report, the Congressional Budget Office said that U.S. consumer's are paying 95% of Trump tariffs through increased prices for imported goods and domestically manufactured goods.

The American Iron and Steel Institute on Friday urged the Trump administration to maintain the steel and aluminum tariffs, arguing that government-subsidized excess steel capacity in China and ?elsewhere was a threat to U.S. national ?security.

The Section 232 tariffs imposed on steel by President Trump were "essential" to prevent the overcapacity fueling new surges in harmful imports to the U.S. Market, which would pose a grave threat to American National Security and undermine the health the American Steel Industry," AISI president Kevin Dempsey stated in a press release. (Reporting and editing by Philippa, Andrea Ricci, and Nick Zieminski; Reporting by David Lawder)

(source: Reuters)