Latest News

US groups sue Trump to stop his efforts to remove history and science information from parks

On Tuesday, groups representing park conservationists as well as historians and scientists filed suit to prevent President Donald Trump’s administration from removing information from monuments and parks. This was after signs and exhibits that touched on slavery and climate changes were removed.

In a lawsuit filed before the federal court in Boston, the National Parks Conservation Association and the American Association for State and Local History and other groups claim that the U.S. Department of Interior is engaging in a "sustained effort to erase history and undermine scientific knowledge."

The lawsuit claims that the Department of Interior is removing exhibits and signs from national parks in violation?of mandates?from Congress which govern how over 430 sites should be run. It also claims to have adopted a policy that is illegal and lacks a reasoned explanation as to why certain signs and displays must be removed.

Alan Spears said that "Censoring Science and Erasing America's History at National Parks are direct threats to all these amazing?places and our country stand for," in a press release.

A spokesperson from the Interior Department said that the group Democracy Forward representing the plaintiffs was run by "far left extremists" and the policy they are challenging is "to ensure parks accurately tell the story of American history."

This was one of the two cases filed on Tuesday that challenged changes made by the Department of Interior to national monuments and park under its jurisdiction, as part of Trump’s agenda.

In New York, several community groups filed a suit claiming that the Department had removed the Pride Flag from the Stonewall National Monument. This was the first monument in the country dedicated to the LGBTQ movement.

The case was filed in Boston a day after an?federal court in Pennsylvania ordered that the National Park Service reinstall a display that had been removed from the Independence National Historical Park's President's House Site in Philadelphia. This exhibit described the history and ownership of slaves by George Washington, America's first President.

The lawsuit filed on Tuesday said that the exhibit was one of many removed after Trump signed his executive order targeting a "revisionist" movement that Trump called "inherently racist and sexist." He also accused it of portraying America as "inherently oppressive or irredeemably flawed."

The White House claimed that Trump's order directed the Interior Department to change parks, monuments, and memorials in response to any "false revisions of history" at these sites.

The lawsuit stated that after a subsequent order by Interior Secretary Doug Burgum to implement?Trump’s directive, National Park Service identified 'hundreds' of signs and material that it had begun removing from national parks.

Signs posted in Maine's Acadia National Park described the impact of the climate change on Acadia and the importance of Cadillac Mountain for the Wabanaki, the indigenous people of the area. (Reporting and editing by David Gregorio in Boston, and Bill Berkrot.)

(source: Reuters)