Latest News

San Diego mosque shooting leaves five dead, including two suspects

Police said that two teenage gunmen opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California on Monday, killing three men, including a security guard. The police found the suspects dead from apparent self-inflicted wounds.

According to San Diego Police chief Scott Wahl, all of the children attending the day school - which is part of the mosque complex in San Diego County - are safe and accounted for. The shooting erupted just before noon PDT (or 1900 GMT) on Wednesday.

Wahl confirmed that the FBI had been called in to help with the investigation of the incident.

Law enforcement officers from across the country were called to the Islamic Center. They found the bodies of three men who had been shot outside the building. One of them was a security guard, whom Wahl credits with helping prevent more bloodshed.

The chief of police said that a short time later, two male teenagers aged 17 and 19 were found dead in a car in the middle of a street. They had apparently shot themselves, he explained.

Investigators are still trying to piece together what triggered the shooting, and how violence spread.

A landscaper was also shot at in an apparent separate shooting, but police have not said whether or not a connection has been ruled out. The landscaper wasn't injured, Wahl reported. Reporting by Mike Blake, San Diego; Additional reporting and writing by Steve Gorman and Andrew Hay, Los Angeles; Editing and proofreading by Rosalba and Chizu O'Brien.

(source: Reuters)