Latest News
-
Bloomberg News: NextEra will discuss paying $76 per Dominion share
Bloomberg News reported that the U.S. power firm NextEra Energy was in talks with Dominion Energy about a deal that would value Dominion Energy at $76 per share, or $66 billion. The two companies would form one of the biggest power companies in America, measured by their market value. Calculations show that the offer represents an increase of approximately 21%?over Dominion's May 15 closing price. The?Bloomberg article added that NextEra would exchange about 0.8 shares of its stock per outstanding share?of Dominion in a deal which could be announced by Monday. The report stated that while NextEra intends to pay mostly in stock, the deal will also include a small amount of cash. NextEra shareholders will own approximately 75% the combined company. The report could not be verified immediately. Companies did not respond immediately to requests for comments outside of regular business hours. According to LSEG, Florida-based NextEra is one of the largest energy developers in the world, with a market cap of $194.69 Billion, compared to?about $54.29 Billion for Dominion. Financial Times reported the news of the merger on Friday. Citing sources, the Financial Times said that the deal would result in a company worth?about 400 billion dollars, including debt. The record U.S. electricity consumption of 2025 will continue to rise?overthe next two years as the AI boom?drives the data-center operators?to lock in utility supply agreements, boosting the sector profits amid increasing demand. (Reporting and editing by Chris Reese, Nick Zieminski and Chandni shah in Bengaluru)
-
Authorities say that a suspected Ukrainian military drone crashed in Lithuania
The National Crisis Management Centre of the Lithuanian government said that a suspected Ukrainian military drone crashed in Lithuania on Sunday. Reporters were told that the drone had not been detected upon its entry into Lithuania and it was not armed. The centre reported that the drone was found in the village of Samane. This is about 40 kilometers from the Latvian border and 55 kilometers from Belarus. Kyiv is yet to comment on this issue. Separately the 'Latvian Army' said that a drone alert had been issued Sunday morning along the border with Russia. NATO fighters from a Baltic Air Police mission were then'summoned into the area. The army reported that a drone briefly entered Latvia during the alert. Since March, several Ukrainian drones that have strayed into the airspace of NATO member Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia, which borders Russia and its ally Belarus, have been seen. Kyiv has said that the drones launched by Kyiv were to hit military targets in Russia but was confused? by Russian interference. Two drones, which caused a fire and explosion at an oil storage facility in Latvia on May 7, were among the drones that crashed and exploded. Evika Silina, Latvian Prime Minister, fired her Defence minister after the incident. This led to her losing her government in May 2014. In 'April, the?Baltic States said they had never permitted their?territories or airspace to be utilized for drone attacks on targets in Russia. Reporting by Andrius sytas, Pavel Polityuk and Aide Lewis; editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Aide Lewis
-
Five people killed in Gaza by Israeli strikes, say medics
Health officials reported that Israeli strikes killed at least five Palestinians on Sunday in the Gaza Strip, as ceasefire attempts to end the fighting between Israel's militant Hamas group failed. Israel intensified its attacks on Gaza in the weeks following the end of its joint bombing campaign with the U.S. against Iran. Hamas is tightening their grip in Gaza while Israeli troops still control more than half of the territory. Medical personnel reported that an Israeli strike had killed a Palestinian in a tent camp near a police station and another one at a tent encampment?in Khan Younis, south of the Gaza Strip. Israeli forces said they killed a militant that posed a direct threat to the local forces. Gaza medics have also reported that another Israeli airstrike in central Gaza killed at least 3 people in a community kitchen located near Al-Aqsa Hospital. The Israeli military didn't immediately comment on that incident. The Israeli military announced on Saturday that Izz al Din al Haddad, the leader of Hamas’ armed wing, had been killed by what they described as an accurate strike in Gaza City. Hamas acknowledged Haddad's demise but did not threaten revenge. HAMAS COMMANDER KILLED BY CAR Israeli military claimed that it also killed Bahaa Baroud, the Hamas Operations Headquarters Commander, in an airstrike Saturday. They accused him of planning numerous imminent attacks against Israeli troops and civilians over recent weeks. The military claimed that Baroud was a direct threat, and it was targeted with a "precise" strike. They also said that they had taken measures to minimize civilian injury, such as the use of?precision munitions? and?aerial monitoring?. Gaza's health officials confirmed that Baroud and another person were killed in an airstrike which targeted the car they were in in Gaza City. Israel and Hamas are unable to progress in their indirect talks on President Donald Trump's plan for Gaza, which is intended to bring an end to more than two years fighting by ending the war with Hamas as it disarms along with Israeli troops leaving Gaza. According to figures that don't distinguish between civilians and combatants,?870 Palestinians were killed by?Israeli attacks since the October ceasefire. In the same time period, militants killed four Israeli soldiers. Hamas doesn't disclose the number of casualties amongst its fighters. (Reporting and editing by Kirsty Donovan, Alex Richardson, Maayan Libell; Additional reporting by Nidal Al-Mughrabi)
-
Israeli strikes kill four Palestinians, doctors say
Health officials reported that Israeli airstrikes on Gaza Strip killed four Palestinians. Medical personnel confirmed that an Israeli strike had killed a Palestinian near a police station in Khan Younis,?in the?southern Gaza Strip. Israeli military claimed it had killed a militant that posed a direct threat to forces in an area located south of the enclave. Gaza medics also reported that another Israeli airstrike in the central Gaza area killed at least 3?people? at a community cooking near Al-Aqsa Hospital. The Israeli military did not immediately comment on this incident. Israel and Hamas are still unable to progress indirect talks in order to implement President Donald Trump's plan for Gaza, which is intended to bring an end to more than two years of conflict. Israel has intensified its attacks on Gaza since it halted its joint bombing campaign with the U.S. against Iran. The military claims that Hamas fighters have tightened their grip in the devastated Palestinian territory. The Israeli military announced on 'Saturday that Izz al Din al-Haddad was killed by a 'precise strike' it called a day earlier in Gaza City. Hamas acknowledged Haddad's demise but did not threaten revenge. Israel has repeatedly carried out strikes against Gaza since the ceasefire began. According to?numbers that don't distinguish between combatants and civilians, 870 Palestinians were killed by Israeli strikes since October's ceasefire. Four Israeli soldiers were also killed by militants in the same time period. Hamas doesn't disclose the number of casualties amongst its fighters. Reporting by Nidal Al-Mughrabi, Editing by Kirsten Doovan
-
IAEA says UAE radiation levels normal after drone strike near Barakah plant
The Abu Dhabi Media Office reported on Sunday that authorities in 'Abu Dhabi' responded to an fire caused by a drone strike on a?electrical genset outside the inner perimeter at the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, in Al Dhafra Region. The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation (FANR) confirmed that the essential systems of the plant were working normally. The statement didn't give any indication as to?how the drone attack happened. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reported that the UAE informed it that radiation levels at Barakah Plant remained normal after the incident. The U.N. nuclear watchdog said that the IAEA was "following the situation closely" and in constant contact with?UAE officials, ready to offer assistance if necessary. The UAE was repeatedly targeted by?drones and missiles during the Israel, U.S., Iran conflict. The UAE's Foreign Ministry said that it "categorically" rejected Iranian allegations and attempts to justify attacks against the UAE. It added, "that it reserves its sovereign, legal, diplomatic, and military rights to respond to threats or hostile acts." Reporting by Tala RAMADAN Editing by Peter Graff & Barbara Lewis
-
Four Russians are killed by Ukraine drones in Russia. This is the biggest attack on Moscow in more than a year
At least 'four' people were killed by a major Ukrainian drone strike on Russian -regions including Moscow. This was the largest attack Moscow has faced in over a year. Authorities announced on Sunday that three people were killed in the Moscow Region and one in Belgorod. The regional governor of Moscow, Andrei?Vorobyov, said that a woman died when a house was hit in Khimki to the north of the capital. He added that rescuers were searching for a second person among the debris. Two men died?in the village Pogorelki, in the Mytishchi District. He said that a number of?residential buildings and infrastructure facilities had been damaged. TASS, citing Sergei Sobyanin as the mayor, reported that air defences had destroyed 81 drones heading for Moscow since midnight. This is the largest attack on the capital of over a calendar year. Sobyanin reported that 12 people were injured, mostly near the entrance of Moscow's oil refining plant, while three houses were damaged. He added that the "technology" of refinery was not affected. The Russian defence ministry said that 556 drones had been shot down over the country during the night and early morning. The largest airport in the country, Moscow's Sheremetyevo, said that drone debris landed on its land without causing damage. Reporting by Vladimir Soldatkin and Anton Kolodyazhnyy, Editing by Raju Gopikrishnan & William Mallard
-
Sun reports that UK government will not raise fuel tax as planned.
The Sun newspaper reported late on Saturday that British Finance Minister Rachel Reeves will announce next week that she plans to postpone the planned 'rise in motor fuel tax that was due to take place 'in September. The temporary fuel duty reduction, first implemented in 2022 and due to expire this September, will increase fuel prices by 6 cents per litre. The British government has repeatedly extended this reduction. Most recently, in November's budget. And the Sun reported that Reeves is poised to do it again. A government insider told the newspaper: "They've been looking at fuel duties." A spokesperson for the British finance ministry responded to a question about the report by saying: "We don't comment on speculation." Since the beginning of the Iran War at the end February, global oil prices have increased by around 60%. Fuel duty, which raised 24 billion pounds last year, is a significant source of revenue. Budget watchdog in Britain bases its predictions on the'stated' government policy to increase fuel duty. However, in 'March, it said that if the government continued with past practices of not increasing fuel duty there would be an annual tax shortfall of 3.6 billion pounds in future years. British government bond prices fell on Friday. This pushed 10-year borrowing rates to their highest level since 2008. Investors were concerned that Starmer's leadership challenge would either force him to spend more money or replace him with a left-winger from his Labour Party.
-
Tata Electronics, ASML to partner in India's first semiconductor manufacturing facility
Tata Electronics signed an agreement with?ASML to build India's front-end semiconductor manufacturing plant in the state of Gujarat, as India accelerated its efforts to develop a chip industry. In a joint press release, Tata Electronics and the Dutch chipmaking equipment manufacturer said that their technology would support the planned 300-millimetre fabrication plant for semiconductors in Gujarat. ASML CEO Christophe Fouquet stated that "India's rapidly growing semiconductor?sector presents many compelling opportunities. We are committed to building long-term partnerships in the region." Tata Electronics has announced that it is investing $11 billion in the development of a plant at Dholera, Gujarat. The plant will produce chips for applications as diverse as automotive, mobile devices, and artificial intelligence. India's Ministry of External Affairs announced that the deal was signed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra modi and Dutch Premier Rob Jetten. The two leaders met with the chief executives of leading Dutch companies in sectors such as energy, ports, and technology. Modi encouraged Dutch companies to invest in areas such as semiconductors and renewable energy. He also urged them to invest in digital technologies, healthcare, and digital technology. Both leaders called for the early implementation of a free trade agreement between India and the European Union. India has committed?billions in subsidies for attracting?semiconductor manufacturing plants and related manufacturing. Eight projects are currently underway, including a $14 Billion Tata Electronics facility in Gujarat. Dutch semiconductor firms are looking for new markets and geographic diversification in the face of export controls and trade restraints linked to U.S. and Chinese technology rivalry. (Reporting by Disha Mishra in Bengaluru. Mark Potter (Editing)
Triton Uranium is aiming for a US listing in 2026 as the demand for nuclear fuels increases
Triton Uranium's president Scott Evans said that the company is looking at a U.S. listing in 2026 through a merger with a special-purpose acquisition company. The company wants to "tap into" rising demand for nuclear fuels and boost domestic supply.
The Canadian-based company began development work on its Atlas Project at Uranium City in Saskatchewan, where it controls approximately 46,742 acres.
Triton raised almost $16 million from private sources, which it plans to use for exploration in advance of a possible public listing.
Evans stated that the company would be open to selling a stake to either the U.S. government or?Canadian Government in future, given growing efforts by policy makers to secure supply chains of critical minerals.
As electricity demand increases, interest in nuclear power is increasing. This is partly due to data centers that support artificial intelligence and cloud-based infrastructure.
Amazon-backed reactor developer X-Energy raised $1.02 billion recently in an initial public offering in the United States, highlighting renewed investor interest.
The uranium market is still constrained due to years of underinvestment.
According to a report in January, U.S. mining production has increased again. However, it is estimated that this year's output will only be about 1 million pounds. This is far below the annual U.S. consumption of more than?50 millions pounds.
Triton prepares to begin a 10,000 meter drilling programme in four priority targets. This includes the Dubyna Mine Area.
Denison Mines Corp. and NexGen Energy were approved by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission earlier this year to begin construction on their respective 'Wheeler River' and 'Rook I Projects, respectively, located in northern Saskatchewan. This was the first new Canadian uranium mining approval since 2004. (Reporting and editing by Sumana Niandy in Bengaluru)
(source: Reuters)