Latest News

Executives at Codelco El Teniente Mine say production will remain lower for the next five years.

Claudio Sougarret, the mine's head, said on?Tuesday that production at Codelco’s El Teniente will be affected for?the next?five years.

He said that the mine will produce 301,000 tons of red metal in this year. This was on the sidelines an event to showcase the results of a study of biodiversity near the mine.

He said that he hoped to "push?that production" up a little, but cautioned it would be "?around there and will be for the next five year."

Codelco, world's biggest copper?miner, has previously stated that production will be affected for the next 3 years.

A collapse at the mine site last year killed several workers. Since then, the mine has been closed in part.

Sougarret stated, "We hope that, based upon the studies we have done, we will be able to recover minerals on the northern side of the mine."

Next Steps

An initial investigation revealed that the collapse of El Teniente mine, which was previously Codelco’s most profitable mine, was probably caused by a powerful earthquake.

The miner is yet to publish its final report about the incident. The miner had promised that it would do so before the end of last.

Sougarret and Codelco chairman Maximo Pacheco declined to comment on the date that the report would be published.

Codelco needs to overhaul the seismic monitoring system at the site among other things, before it can fully restart its operations.

Pacheco did not reveal to journalists the cost of renovations, but said that "Codelco had a duty to implement new and additional safety measures when necessary."

Exclusively reported on Monday that

Codelco plans to invest $3.9 billion

Copper prices are $4.90 per pound this year. This is below current levels.

Pacheco said that Codelco must be "competitive in all price scenarios." (Reporting and editing by Brendan O'Boyle, David Gregorio and Brendan O'Boyle; Additional reporting from Fabian Cambero).

(source: Reuters)