Latest News

Brazil cancels planned pre-salt sale this year

Bruno Moretti, Minister of Planning in Brazil, said that the government had decided to not hold an auction for offshore pre-salt oil areas this year.

At a press conference he said that the government had removed an estimated 31 billion reals ($6.18 billion), in revenue, from its new budget projections for this year.

Moretti stated, "We will revisit the issue and structure the auction. It will be relevant to help us meet our primary balance targets in the future fiscal year."

The auction covered oil fields that were already producing but not yet contracted. This effectively gave companies the right of profiting from increased output.

A similar auction last year raised 7,8 billion reais, but fell short of the initial expectations.

Moretti stated that the decision to postpone auction was a result of feedback from the market participants who view the model as "relatively novel and still evolving".

Minister said that the government found it difficult to proceed in this environment of increased uncertainty and volatility in oil prices, linked to the U.S./Israel conflict with Iran.

FUEL SUBSIDY

Moretti said that President Luiz inacio Lula da So Paulo is expected to?clear on Monday an already announced gasoline subsidy intended to cushion consumers from the Middle East conflict, after CEO of state-run petroleum giant Petrobras indicated a future fuel price increase.

The subsidy is 0.44 reais for each litre, with an estimated cost to the federal budget of 1.2 billion?reais per month, Moretti stated. He added that the measure also depends on a future Finance Ministry decree.

The plan will see the subsidies initially?paid to producers of gasoline and?importers via the oil regulator ANP.

Moretti responded that the company is responsible for the size of any adjustment. ($1 = 5,0191 reais). (Reporting and editing by Nia William; Marcela Ayres)

(source: Reuters)