Latest News

Japan megaquake estimates could kill 300,000 and cause damage of $1.8 trillion

A government report on Monday said that Japan's economy may suffer a loss of up to $1.81 trillion if a megaquake, long anticipated off its Pacific Coast, occurs. This could cause devastating tsunamis and the collapse of hundreds or buildings, as well as the death of 300,000 people.

Cabinet Office's report shows that the expected economic damages of 270.3 trillion Japanese yen or nearly half the country's gross domestic product (GDP) are up from the previous estimate which was 214.2 trillion. The new estimate took into account inflationary pressures as well as updated terrain and ground information, which has expanded the anticipated flood zones.

The government predicts that there is an 80% probability of a large earthquake of magnitude 8-9 along the Nankai Trough, a zone of unstable seabed.

In the worst case scenario, based upon a possible magnitude 9 earthquake, Japan will likely see 1,23 million evacuees, or 10% of its population. The report said that as many as 298,000 people may die from the tsunami and collapse of buildings if an earthquake occurs at night during winter.

The trough runs approximately 900 km (625 miles) off the southwest coast of Japan, where the Philippine Sea Plate subducts under the Eurasian Plate. The accumulation of tectonic forces could lead to a massive earthquake roughly every 100-150 years.

After a magnitude 7.1 quake at the edge, Japan issued the first ever megaquake warning last year.

More than 15 000 people were killed by a magnitude 9 earthquake in 2011, which triggered a tsunami that was devastating and triple meltdowns of reactors at a nuclear plant in the northeastern part of Japan. ($1 = 149.0500 Japanese yen)

(source: Reuters)