Latest News

Aftershocks hinder rescue efforts after 53 people are killed in Indonesia earthquake

Authorities said that around 5,000 people were evacuated following a magnitude-7.7 quake in eastern Indonesia, which killed at least 53 and caused landslides.

They added that more than 130 people were injured, including many with broken bones.

The quake that struck Southeast Asia on Saturday was the deadliest in the nation since a quake in West Java, Indonesia, killed hundreds of people back in 2022.

According to Indonesia's national agency for disaster mitigation, BNPB, more than 3,300 people were either in a sport arena or self-evacuated from the eastern Sikka region.

Residents were left stranded in tents made of tarpaulin outside homes that had collapsed. Others received medical treatment outside hospitals.

Indonesia is a sprawling archipelago of over 290,000,000 people that straddles the "Pacific Ring of Fire", an earthquake-prone zone where tectonic plate collisions cause frequent volcanic eruptions and earthquakes.

Fear of Aftershocks

Residents in Maumere told of their fear of aftershocks at a port that is now closed, with its debris left behind from walls and roofs that collapsed.

On Sunday, the disaster agency reported that nearly 1,000 aftershocks have been recorded since the earthquake.

Nearby, residents crowded a nearby sports stadium that was designated as an "evacuation site".

Residents waited in line for warm drinks as the sun set. Some mothers sewed pieces of clothing onto tent frames to create makeshift cradles. Some children played outside soccer.

Margaretha Movaldes Da Maga Bapa said that the residents of the region were reminded of the 1992 quake.

"We've experienced quakes many times." "But this one brings back the trauma from the one in 1992," she said as aid, such as tents and food, filled her office.

Suryaman, an official of the rescue agency, said that the priority was to clear rubble from the worst-affected areas in Manggarai East Manggarai?Nagekeo, so as to locate people who may still be trapped.

Suryaman stated that the agency has not received any missing person reports, but added that aftershocks and landslides were hampering the search.

In a press release, Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya stated that more than 3,500 police and military officers had been deployed in the region.

State utility firm Perusahaan Listrik Negara reported Sunday that power supply was nearly restored but that authorities are still working to fix distribution lines.

BNPB reported that the East Nusa Tenggara Government declared an emergency in the province. This allows authorities to mobilize resources and funding.

Dwikorita Karanawati, a geology expert, said that the region was at risk for earthquakes because of the "Flores?back-arc-thrust fault", a system of major west-east thrust-faults.

Geophysics Agency of Indonesia said that the area was devastated by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake in 1992.

(source: Reuters)