Latest News
-
Police officials report that Israeli producer of the 'Tehran TV series' found dead in Athens, Greece hotel
Greek police officials said that the Israeli producer of "Tehran", a hit spy thriller, was found dead in a hotel room on Sunday. An investigation is currently underway. After several unsuccessful attempts to contact her, a relative found the body of a 52-year old woman identified as Dana Eden. Police officials stated that the?case was being treated as a suicide based on?evidence and testimonies. Investigators from Greece found pills at the scene. The victim's neck was also bruised by the coroner. In a statement, Donna and Shula Productions, an international production company, said: "This is a time of great sadness for the family, colleagues, and friends." "The production company wishes to clarify that rumors regarding a criminal ?or nationalistic-related death are not ?true and are ?unfounded," it said, urging media and the public to refrain ?from publishing unverified claims. Israeli media outlet Kan reported that Eden was in Greece filming the fourth season of the show Tehran. (Reporting and writing by Angeliki Koutantou. Maayan lubell, Hannah Confino and Yannis Souliotis. Editing by Sharon Singleton.
-
Israeli airstrikes kill 11, Palestinians claim; Israel claims Hamas broke truce
Officials from the Palestinian Authority said that Israel launched airstrikes in the Gaza Strip, killing 11 Palestinians. The military claimed the strikes were a response to the ceasefire violations committed by the militant Palestinian group Hamas. Gaza medics reported that a?Israeli airstrike? on a tent camp housing displaced families has killed at least four. Health officials have confirmed another strike in Khan Younis, in the south. A fifth person has been shot dead in Khan Younis, in the north. In the Tel Al-Hawa neighborhood of Gaza City, airstrikes were also launched against what was believed to be the commander of the Islamic Jihad, an ally Hamas. Hazem Qassem is the Hamas spokesperson for Gaza. He accused Israel of a "massacre" of Palestinians who were displaced. Israeli military officials called Sunday's strikes?precise?" and in accordance with international law. They also said that the Palestinian militant group repeatedly violated a October ceasefire. Israel and Hamas repeatedly blamed each other for violating the ceasefire agreement, which is a crucial element in Trump's plan to stop the Gaza War, the bloodiest and most destructive conflict between Israel and Palestine over the years. According to Israeli statistics, the war began with the Hamas attack of October 7, 2023 on southern?Israel which killed more than 1,200. According to Palestinian data, Israel's air-and-ground war in Gaza since then has killed over?72,000 Palestinians. TRUMP'S "BOARD OF PEACE" TO HOLD ITS FIRST MEETING THURSDAY An Israeli military official stated that "in recent hours the IDF has started striking in response to Hamas’s blatant breach of the ceasefire yesterday in the Beit Hanoi area." Officials said that militants emerged from a tunnel located on the Israeli side the of "Yellow Line", which was agreed upon under the ceasefire agreement to demarcate Israeli and Hamas controlled areas. The official stated that crossing the Yellow Line near IDF troops while armed is an explicit ceasefire breach. It shows how Hamas violates the "ceasefire agreement" with the intent to harm IDF soldiers. Israel unilaterally shifted the yellow line further into Gaza, despite the fact that Israeli withdrawals were part of the ceasefire agreement. Hamas, meanwhile, has rejected the demands for it to lay down its weapons as stipulated in the plan. Israel said that it would have to force Hamas into disarming if they didn't. Qassem urged all those who attended the first meeting of Trump’s new international Board of Peace for Gaza, which took place on Thursday, to pressurize Israel to stop violating truces and implement the agreement immediately. Last week, U.S. officials informed? Last week, U.S. officials told? Israeli officials said they continued to destroy tunnels under the Gaza Strip according to the agreement. They also stated that their aircraft attacked a building located east of the Yellow Line after seeing militants emerge from a tunnel, killing 'at least two' of them. Gaza officials did not have any information about the reported casualties. Gaza's health ministry reports that Israel has killed at least 600 Palestinians since the Gaza agreement began. Israel claims that militants have killed four Israeli soldiers in Gaza during the same time period. Reporting by Nidal Al-Mughrabi, Steven Scheer and William Mallard; Editing and Philippa Fletcher by William Mallard
-
Netanyahu says US deal with Iran must dismantle nuclear infrastructure
Benjamin Netanyahu, Israeli Prime Minister, said that he had told Donald Trump the week before that any U.S. agreement with Iran would include dismantling the?Iran's nuclear infrastructure and not just stopping the enrichment process. Netanyahu said that Israel must "complete" the task of destroying tunnels in Gaza. He spoke at a conference of presidents of major American Jewish organizations. Israel has dismantled an estimated 500km (93 miles) or 150 km of tunnels, according to Netanyahu. This week, a second round of negotiations between the U.S.A. and Iran is scheduled. An Iranian diplomat said that Iran was pursuing a?nuclear?agreement? with the U.S. which would provide economic benefits to both parties. Netanyahu is skeptical of any deal, but insists that it must include the removal of enriched material from Iran. He said: "There will be no capability of enrichment - that is, not just stopping the process but also dismantling all the equipment and infrastructure which allows you to enrich." Iran and the U.S. resumed negotiations this month in order to resolve their decades-old dispute over Tehran’s nuclear program and avoid a new war. U.S. officials said that the country has sent a second aircraft to the region in preparation for a possible sustained military campaign, if the talks fail. Netanyahu said he also aimed to 'end U.S. Military Aid to Israel in the next 10 years, after the current 10-year deal that receives $3.8 billion per year - largely spent on equipment in the United States - ends?in 2028. A booming economy means that "we can afford a 10-year phase-out of the financial component to the military aid we receive. I propose to reduce it to zero in the next 10 years." Netanyahu stated that the current memorandum will expire in three years and then another seven to bring it down to zero. He said, "We want the United States to shift from aid to partnership." (Reporting and editing by Susan Fenton; Steven Scheer)
-
Olympics-Biathlon-Ponsiluoma peaks on final shoot for sweet Swedish biathlon gold
After a poor start for the highly-anticipated Swedish biathlon team, Martin Ponsiluoma was able to shake off the dust on Sunday with a 'perfect series? of five shots in the final shoot. He also had a superb last lap. This resulted in him winning gold at the men's 12.5"km pursuit. The Swede, known to his team as "Ponsi", piled pressure on France's Emilien Jacquelin who missed two times to incur costly penalty loops. "I tried not to look at his targets but I heard and thought it was two misses so I tried to focus on myself. Ponsiluoma said after his gold victory, "Make a quick and clean'shoot. He admitted to being afraid of the chasing pack, which included Olympic and World champions. He said, "I was nervous but I felt on the last part of the loop, that this is okay, so I tried to enjoy it." The Swedish team was criticized for not being able to explain the reasons why their first few races did not go according to plan. But Ponsiluoma’s gold has cleared away all those cobwebs. "Yeah it feels incredible, and I'm hoping that?it will bring a lot of?energy to the team." He said, "We have great chances to win the next races as well. I hope that we take them." Sturla Laegreid, who snuck in front of Jacquelin to win the silver medal, was able to do so because Jacquelin missed his opportunity. Laegreid said to reporters that it was about doing one thing at a?time" after he won the silver medal. He also received two bronze medals in the sprint and individual races. "Ski one meter, shoot one shot, do my very best right now, and then, at the end, count the results." "I never thought I would be able to catch Martin. He's an extremely strong skier and I know he didn't push himself in the final lap. So he won the gold medal like a true champion." Reporting by Philip O'Connor, Editing by Andrew Cawthorne
-
Palestinian officials claim that Israeli airstrikes have killed nine Palestinians in Gaza, including a tent camp.
Palestinian civil defense and health officials reported that nine Palestinians died in Israeli airstrikes on Sunday,?in the northern and southern Gaza Strip. Health officials reported that a 'Israeli airstrike' on a tent camp housing displaced families killed at least four people. Meanwhile, medics confirmed that a second strike in Khan Younis to the south resulted in five deaths. A senior Israeli official confirmed that Israel Defense Forces had struck Hamas terrorists in response to a "violation (on Saturday)" in Beit Haoun, where terrorists emerged through a tunnel located east of the yellow border. Officials called Sunday's strikes "precise", and in accordance with international law. They also said that Hamas has committed "more than six violations" of an October ceasefire. This includes deploying east of "Yellow Line", which was agreed upon under the?"ceasefire agreement to demarcate Israeli and Hamas controlled areas. Israel and Hamas'repeatedly accused one another?of violating a ceasefire agreement, which is a key component of U.S. president Donald Trump's plan for ending the Gaza War. The military announced on Saturday that it had located armed "terrorists", near IDF troops operating in northern Gaza Strip. According to the IDF, it continues?to destroy tunnels underground in the northern Gaza Strip according to the agreement. It reported that it had observed several 'gunmen' emerging from a tunnel, and then 'entering under the rubble of an east of Yellow Line building. The military claimed that Air Force aircraft had "attacked" the building, killing two gunmen. Gaza's health ministry has reported that at least 600 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli fire since the Gaza agreement began. Israel reported that four soldiers had been killed in Gaza by militants during the same time period.
-
Trump and Netanyahu agreed that the US should pressure Iran to reduce oil sales to China.
Axios, citing U.S. officials who were briefed about the issue, reported that President Donald 'Trump' and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu agreed at a White House meeting on Wednesday to work towards reducing Iran’s oil exports. Axios quoted a senior U.S. government official as saying, "We agreed that we would go full force and exert maximum pressure on Iran, such as regarding Iranian oil sales to China." China's Foreign Ministry did not respond immediately to a request for comment on Sunday, which was the first day of the Lunar New Year holiday. China is responsible for over 80% of Iran’s oil exports. Iran's oil revenues would be affected if this trade were to decrease. U.S. diplomats and Iranians held nuclear talks last week through Omani mediators in an effort to revive diplomacy. This was after the U.S. President positioned a 'naval flotilla' in the region as the American military prepared for possible sustained, weeks-long operations against Iran. Reporting by Lisa Baertlein, Los Angeles; Additional reporting by Che pan and Ryan Woo, Beijing; Editing and Sergio Non by Diane Craft and Sergio Non
-
New Zealand prepares for heavy rain and severe gales following floods that killed one person
New Zealand's forecaster warned Sunday of intensifying heavy rains and severe 'gales' for the country's North Island. This comes a day after flooding that was linked to the death of a single person led to power outages and road collapses, as well as home evacuations. The weather forecaster stated that "a significant low deepens today east of the North Island, bringing severe gales and heavy rain to the eastern, middle, and southern North Island." On its website, the weather service said that the worst of the storm was expected to arrive late Sunday. This would be followed by a gradual easing on Monday. Heavy rains began 'bashing large areas of the country Friday and causing the flooding. The authorities declared a state-of-emergency on Sunday for the Otorohanga District, a hard hit agricultural region with about 10,000 residents, located 180 km south of Auckland, the nation's largest city. On Facebook, the 'Otorohanga district council said that teams of geotechnical engineers "spent last night assessing slips" and checking the structural stability of roads in the area. Powerco reported on its website that 2,452 homes remained without electricity on the North Island. Authorities reported that a man died Saturday in his car, apparently drowned by floodwaters. They also said that 80 people had been evacuated to an emergency center. Images shared on social media showed vast semirural neighborhoods submerged, and sections of road that had collapsed where floodwaters receded. Reporting by Sam McKeith, Sydney Editing Rod Nickel
-
Judge rules that Exxon Mobil may sue the California Attorney General for defamation regarding recycling
The federal judge rejected the California Attorney General Rob Bonta’s request to dismiss Exxon Mobil’s lawsuit accusing Bonta of defamation for criticizing Exxon Mobil’s?advanced? plastics recycling initiatives. Bonta claimed that he had immunity from suit because he criticised Exxon while in his official capacity of Attorney General and within the "heartland' of his employment duties. The Beaumont, Texas judge said that whether Bonta criticised Exxon with good faith is a factual question to be decided later. Truncale said he had no jurisdiction to hear the claims made against the Sierra Club, Baykeeper Heal the Bay, and Surfrider Foundation. Bonta's Office did not respond immediately to requests for comment. This campaign of lies aimed at derailing our advanced recycling business has to stop. "We refuse to allow others to attack our reputation and technologies?for financial and political gains," said an Exxon spokesperson in a press release. Exxon is increasingly willing to defend itself against critics who claim that its operations are harmful to the climate or increase greenhouse gas emissions. In January 2025 the company based in the Houston suburb of Spring, Texas sued Bonta, almost four months after California filed a lawsuit accusing Exxon for decades of lying about the limitations on recycling. Exxon manufactures polymers that are used to create single-use plastics. Bonta, a Democrat from California, objected Exxon’s promotion of their advanced recycling technology. This process converts hard-to recycle plastic into fuel. REVIEW SOME CHALLENGING STATEMENTS Exxon alleged that Bonta had made 14 statements in interviews, on-line posts, and other public appearances. Three statements claimed that Exxon’s recycling plan "was not based on truth", that plastic waste "piled up" in Houston, despite recycling efforts and that only 5% of U.S.?plastic?waste was recycled, while the remainder polluted the environment, waters, oceans and wildlife. Two of these statements were taken from an interview. In a 46 page decision, Truncale stated that it "wouldn't be unfair" for the statements to be reviewed as possible defamation, because they clearly involved Exxon or were based on Texas-based sources. The judge stated that Bonta's immunity as an official "depends on whether his statements are objectively false." He added that Bonta made a statement in an email with a link to a fundraising campaign, and that "campaigning was not Bonta’s job." Truncale's appointment to the bench was made in 2019 by Republican president Donald Trump. Jonathan Stempel, New York; David Gregorio, Matthew Lewis and Matthew Lewis.
The Spanish market regulator has approved changes to control voltage fluctuations
The Spanish market regulator said on Monday that it had approved some of technical changes requested by national grid operator, after it detected sharp voltage swings across the country following a massive blackout last April.
Initial measures are for 30 days, but they can be extended up to 3 months.
The CNMC has approved some technical measures requested from grid operator REE with minor tweaks, but it has postponed a decision on a major proposed measure that would change the power grid voltage requirements for both conventional and renewable power plants.
The CNMC stated that the modification of this measure "requires a deeper analysis" after feedback from generators who raised doubts about the ability to meet the new obligations.
It said: "Therefore its immediate adoption is inappropriate until the evidence provided during the hearing process by the parties and its implications has been properly analysed."
The grid operator requested these measures in early April, warning of "rapid voltage fluctuations" that could "potentially cause demand and/or production disconnections which end up destabilizing the electrical system." In a report published this month, the European network of electricity transmission systems operators stated that the power outage on the Iberian Peninsula that occurred on April 28th was the first blackout known to be caused by excessive voltage. (Reporting from Pietro Lombardi in Madrid and Joan Faus; editing by Matthew Lewis.)
(source: Reuters)