Latest News

A failed New Mexico candidate is found guilty of plotting to kill Democratic officials

By Kanishka Sing

Prosecutors announced on March 20 that a New Mexico jury had found an unsuccessful Republican candidate for the House of Representatives of the state guilty of all charges related to a number of drive-by shootings in Albuquerque at the homes of Democratic officials.

Solomon Pena has been convicted of 13 felonies, including three counts for soliciting to commit a violent crime.

Police said Pena was motivated by election conspiracy theories to recruit other people to shoot at Albuquerque houses in an attempt to kill or injure Democratic officials in the years 2022 and 2023.

The attacks, which came during a period of political polarization in the country and fear of violence, did not result in any injuries.

Pena was falsely accused of fraud by his opponents in a House election. He had been described as "a radical right election denier" by officials.

The prosecution accused him of hiring armed men to go on a shooting spree in the homes of Democratic officials, after he had visited them and disputed his election loss of 2022.

More than a year before, two men who claimed to have been hired by Pena to carry out the attacks pleaded guilt.

Pena could face life imprisonment. The date of sentencing has not been set.

In a joint press release, the officials who were attacked said that "the verdict serves to remind us that any threats or violence towards anyone in our community will not tolerated."

Pena's attorney told NBC News his client wasn't involved in the shootings, and he called the verdict a travesty. Pena's lawyer claimed that Pena did not hire anyone to shoot Democrats, and that he had been wrongly accused. (Reporting and editing by Bill Berkrot in Washington, Stephen Coates, and Kanishka Singh)

(source: Reuters)