Latest News

Government says 30 people killed in landslide at Guinea landfill

The government announced on Sunday that 30 people were killed in a landslide near a landfill?in Guinea's capitol after heavy rains caused a mound of?waste to collapse, engulfing nearby tents and shelters. The incident happened less than one week after the government announced its plans to relocate waste and close the landfill site. This was due to the danger it posed.

According to a government statement, the landslide occurred?at 2 a.m. (0200 GMT), in the Gbessia community of Conakry. According to the government statement, 30 people were killed and six others seriously injured. Another 16 people suffered only minor injuries. Rescue workers were using excavators, among other tools, to clear the area of the landslide. Witnesses said that the slide was large enough to bury a building and several more homes.

Cire Diallo told reporters that all five of her children had been killed. "I've lost all my kids." "All I can do now is trust God," said the woman. Guinea has the largest bauxite deposits in the world and is home to?the richest untapped iron ore at Simandou. A massive mining project began there in November. Guinea has a poor infrastructure and widespread poverty. According to a World Bank Report published in April, 3.7 million out of the 15.1 million residents 'live on less than $4.20 a day.

Djenab toure, Guinea's Minister of Territorial Administration, announced Thursday that the government would close the landfill due to its unsafe condition and relocate the waste outside Conakry. The?government said that Prime Minister Amadou?Oury Bah had visited the landfill on Sunday to assess?damage, supervise the response and ensure the people remained calm and showed solidarity. Reporting by Guinea Newsroom, Writing by Robbie Corey Boulet; Editing and Mark Porter.

(source: Reuters)