Latest News

Zambian opposition leader will try to reverse election results in court

Brian Mundubile, the leader of the Zambian opposition, said on Wednesday that he would?challenge in court the results from the presidential election held on August 13, claiming vote fraud. The contest gave President Hakainde Hichilma his second term.

Mundubile stated in a press release that "our campaign has documented serious irregularities and inconsistencies as well as circumstances surrounding the conduct of, counting, transmitting and declaring results." Hichilema's spokesperson declined to comment immediately. The Electoral Commission of Zambia was not available for immediate comment. The commission declared Hichilema as the "winner" on Tuesday, with approximately 60% of the votes, compared to 38% for Mundubile.

EU MISSION FLAGS TRANSPARENCY QUESTIONS A European Union election observers mission has raised concerns over transparency. They said that many polling centres staff failed to record the results as soon as the announcements were made, as required by regulations. In a mission statement, the mission stated that "observers reported extended breaks during the results tabulation procedure in almost half the observations. The returning officers appeared to wait for instructions from... headquarters prior to announcing the results." Due to reports of violence and theft of ballot paper, the electoral commission suspended voting for several hours on Friday. The EU mission stated that the situation deteriorated even further after a heavy military force was deployed, resulting in less observers being present at the sites where ballots were collected and counted. UN CONDEMNS ARRESTS OF OPPOSITION After a relatively calm run-up to August 13's election, tensions quickly?escalated once the polls closed. In a raid involving an exchange of gunfire and Mundubile's presence, the authorities arrested 11 people, including key opposition figures. Mundubile released his latest statement at an undisclosed address. He said earlier that he had been placed under protection because of threats. Volker Turk, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said that he was concerned about reports of detentions and arrests of opposition figures. In a press release, he said that he urged the authorities to stop arbitrarily arresting people and to respect the rights to due process of those who are detained.

(source: Reuters)