Latest News

France evacuates 525 people as another wildfire strikes southwest pine forests

France evacuates 525 people as another wildfire strikes southwest pine forests
France evacuates 525 people as another wildfire strikes southwest pine forests

French authorities evacuated 525 villages after a wildfire broke out in pine woods near an area that was already devastated by major fires this summer.

Gilles Clavreul, regional official, told reporters on Friday that the fire had spread within two kilometers (1.2 miles) from the center of Luglon.

He said that the situation was "unfavorable" and added?that six aircraft were sent to help.

The police have closed the road to the north and the south, putting a stop to traffic in the village.

Luglon lies about 100 km (62 mi) south of Arcachon Bay. Two major fires destroyed more than 124,000 acres of land, forcing 220,000 people to evacuate in July.

In France's unheard of wildfire season, temperatures will soar to 36° Celsius (97° Fahrenheit) this Friday afternoon.

The area burned so far is greater than the previous record of?2022. The Landes region is surrounded by pine forests that are highly flammable once they dry. (Reporting and writing by Stephanie Lecocq, Jean-Stephane Brosse, Inti Landauro; editing by Clarence Fernandez).

(source: Reuters)