Latest News

France prepares for fourth major heatwave, as crews battle Bordeaux fire

France prepares for fourth major heatwave, as crews battle Bordeaux fire
France prepares for fourth major heatwave, as crews battle Bordeaux fire

The fourth heatwave in France this year is expected to hit on Tuesday. High temperatures and dry conditions in the southwest of France will put pressure on firefighters battling the massive wildfires that are raging across the Bordeaux region. According to Climate Monitor, temperatures in Bordeaux will reach 33 degrees Celsius during the day. This is 7 degrees higher than the average between 1961 and 1990. "The situation that we are facing today is the worst we've ever seen, the most difficult since the Second World War," said President Emmanuel Macron on Monday night, after flying to the region. Nathalie Deattre, senator for Gironde (which includes the city of Bordeaux), said that fire crews contained the flames overnight but that the situation was still difficult.

She told BFM Television on Tuesday that "everything depends on how well the firefighters perform on the ground."

France is experiencing a wildfire season unlike any other. The fires have already surpassed 2022's previous record year.

The Landes region, southwest of Bordeaux is covered with pine forests that are highly flammable if they become dry. So far, the fire has destroyed 42,000 hectares.

About 220,000 people have been evacuated, including tourists and local residents.

The situation in Biscarrosse has improved. About 15,000 people who were evacuated last week are now allowed to return home.

"However, the (positive) development does NOT mean that the risk has been eliminated. Flare-ups are still possible, especially due to weather conditions. ")," the report said.

Meteo France, the weather service, said that temperatures would increase from the afternoon onwards and reach a maximum of 37 degrees Celsius by Wednesday.

In a recent post on X, the social media platform, Interior Minister Laurent Nunez revealed that French authorities had jailed a man in connection with the wildfires still burning in the Var region.

Nunez stated that 184 individuals have been arrested since the start of the wildfires season. (Reporting by Yves Herman; Additional reporting by Charlotte van Campenhout, Editing by Andrew Heavens; Reporting by Manuel Ausloos; Inti Landauro; Sarah Meysonnier)

(source: Reuters)