Latest News

Trump Administration moves to rescind a rule that protects millions forest acres

Tuesday, the?Trump Administration took a first step towards?rescinding?a decades-old regulation that protects undeveloped forest. The administration claims this will help to manage wildfire risks, but environmental groups say it will do just the opposite. Donald Trump has reversed environmental regulations and removed land from conservation to be used for energy extraction.

According to a Department of Agriculture press release, the 'proposed rule' filed by the U.S. Forest Service will rescind 2001 Roadless Area Conservation Rule which bans logging and roads in undeveloped forest and transfer authority to the local national forest managers.

According to the National Interagency Fire Center, wildfires in the U.S. are at their worst level ever. As of August 17, 7.3 million acres (3,000,000 hectares) had been burned by around 49,000 fires.

Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins stated in a press release that the repeal of the rule will improve forest health and decrease wildfire risks.

She said: "Today we filed a proposed to restore authority to the local forest managers, who know the land the best. We removed the barriers that prevented them from doing the necessary work for the land."

Environmental groups claim that the rule's revocation would increase wildfire risks by exposing forest land to more human activity. Wildfire density was found to be lowest in protected forests and wilderness areas and highest near roads, according to a 2025 analysis conducted by the Wilderness Society.

Josh Hicks is the director of conservation campaigns for the group. He said that "too many communities depend on these forests to be healthy and untouched."

Hicks added that "opening up our backcountry forest to more roads, development and,?therefore, more ignitions" is not and will never be a solution for wildfires.

According to USDA, the Roadless Rule restricts development on?nearly 59 million acres of forest (24 million hectares), or about 30% of the National Forest System.

The agency will accept comments on the proposed rule up until September 21. Reporting by Leah Douglas, Washington; Additional reporting by Andrew Hay, Taos New Mexico; Editing by Timothy Gardner and Rod Nickel

(source: Reuters)