Latest News

A man is shot dead by police after he attacked them near the Arc de Triomphe, Paris

The French anti-terrorism prosecutor's office reported that a man who attempted to stab a policeman with a knife near the Arc de Triomphe in Paris on Friday, was shot and died from his injuries.

It said that the police officer wasn't injured and no other person was hurt.

The office said that the?man was released in December after serving 12 years for terrorism charges.

Paris police reported that the attack occurred near the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier where police officers were rekindling a flame. French prosecutor's office for anti-terrorism took over the case soon after the attack.

The report did not name the suspect, but stated that he was French and born in 1978. He had been convicted on terrorism charges for a?attempt murder in Belgium, and sentenced to 17-years in prison.

The prosecution's office said that after he was released in December, following a 12-year sentence, he was placed under police surveillance and subjected to?routine checks. The prosecution's office said that after he was released in December?after serving 12 years, he had been placed?under police scrutiny with?routine checks.

(source: Reuters)